450b Loader bell housing removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dmh
MC crawler
MC crawler

450b Loader bell housing removal

Post by dmh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 pm

I would like to post my experience removing the bell housing on my 450B. I looked on every page on this site and did not find much info on this. So hope this helps. I seen that the bell housing will not come out with the clutch and brake pedal on. I had to heat the arm and clutch pedal to get them to slide off shaft, all I had to do was heat one side off the casting, let it cool and got under machine with my air chisel and couple of burps and the red rust flew and off they came. By the way a pry bar and hammer would not move them. You can get the lever off the end of clutch shaft but will not get the clutch pedal off. You must loosen the set screw on the throw out bearing fork, tap shaft over till pedal will come out. You can see in my pictures that the shaft goes in the right side of housing a 1 3/8 but the hole is deep enough to tap it over so pedal will come of. Mine was froze up in the fork so I cut a 1.5" out of shaft so I could get it slide over. I unbolted housing rolled it on its side took off brake pedal, than slide housing forward. I forgot something, but hope this helps some. I will post pictures of the job as soon as I read how to post pictures.
450b crawler loader

dmh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dmh » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Here are the pictures.

450b crawler loader

Farmerford
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Farmerford » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks for the pictures. I may be doing the same thing shortly.

That's a nice shop. Plenty of room.

What is that green and yellow thing back in the corner? Some sort of farm implement? A planter maybe?
Farmerford
Columbus, Georgia

dmh
MC crawler
MC crawler

from dmh

Post by dmh » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes it is a JD planter. I hope this helps, When you first look at it you wonder,will it come out. Of course it would be a piece of cake if everything would slide apart. Good luck, I would be glad to answer questions.
450b crawler loader

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Time and Patience

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:01 pm

You must have alot of patience as the bell housing is very difficult to remove and re-install.

My dad always removes the loader assembly when doing this type of repair or working on the transmission. 4 pins and the hydrualic lines are all that hold the loader assembly on. We use our 350C loader machine with an angle dozer to remove and re-install as you can angle the dozer to get proper line up. Come-alongs and sometimes another loader machine get involved.

Again, nice work.

Did you build the canopy? Hard to tell its not factory.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

john450
40C crawler
40C crawler

bell housing removal

Post by john450 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:35 am

dmh

Thanks for the excellent pictures. Just wanted to let you know it was very much appreciated. That job is down the road for me but looking at your pictures was priceless..thanks for your efforts. John450

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the pictures dmh.
I had to remove the clutch housing on my 450 loader back in October. It was quite a job to get it out and even more difficult to get back in. It’s a lot heaver than it looks.

I see in your pictures that the clutch return spring is broken. I had to replace mine also and the torque on the new spring is a lot to overcome when sliding the clutch fork on the shaft. You need to make sure that the shaft is pushed in far enough to get the pedal back on but not too far because it will need to come back out to line up the set screws. With all of that torque on the shaft (from the new spring) it won’t slide easily and there’s no way to get behind and push it back out. I had to move it about a ¼ inch at a time. I slid the clutch tfork on the shaft as far as I could, tightened the clutch fork set screw and slid the fork and the shaft out, loosened the set screw and repeated until the shaft was out far enough.

Another issue that I had was the elbow hat comes out of the clutch housing. This elbow returns oil from the cooler. The elbow needs to sit in the housing before attaching the housing to the transmission. There is not enough room between the housing and the frame to put it in after it is attached.

I removed my cllutch housing to replace the transmission shaft seal and the pump o-ring because of a leak. When I got it back together it still leaks just as bad as it did before all of the work. I’m not sure where it’s coming from now.

What are you doing to yours?

Hope this helps someone

Joe

dmh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dmh » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:46 pm

I had to replace the main drive clutch. But after I pulled the engine I was cleaning the bottom of the bell housing,because the mice had lived in it. So as I was digging mouse stuff loose all of a sudden oil started coming up out of the mouse stuff. Now I know how Jed Clampit felt, he was happy I was wondering. Anyway the mouse stuff ate a hole in the frost plug in the front of trans. Had to pull B.H. to replace plug. Also new clutch shaft because had to cut . One thing leads to another,at least you can get parts.
450b crawler loader