is a winch available for a 350C?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
austinsailor
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by austinsailor » Wed May 10, 2006 9:02 pm

I have a JD 350C, aound 1983 vintage, and the backhoe attachment. In the back it has what appears to be a pto shaft with a cover over it.

Is it possible to mount a winch on the machine and still be able to put on the backhoe? There have been several times I've gotten stuck (without the backhoe mounted) and a winch would have been worth quite a bit to get me out.

Any ideas of what the cost would be and where I'd find one?

srs_mn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srs_mn » Thu May 11, 2006 8:09 am

Yes, there were winches made for 350's, but you can't have both a winch and a backhoe on the same machine.
srs/mn

austinsailor
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by austinsailor » Thu May 11, 2006 1:55 pm

This is a backhoe that goes on and off pretty easy, mounting on plates that fit the side of the frame. Pretty standard, I think. There looks to be enough room for a small winch to fit even when the hoe is mounted. Of course, it couldn't be used at that time. Maybe, though, the winch is not so small.

Would it be a great job to install and remove the winch as you needed the hoe?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu May 11, 2006 5:28 pm

The winch weighs probably 500-700 lbs and is far from convenient. Winch and backhoe are mutually exclusive, you can have one or the other, but not both.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri May 12, 2006 5:49 pm

you will find that the winch is one of those things that when instaled you dont take off the added weight ballances up the 350s nicely for added traction The backhoe needs a larger pump than the 350s have as standard equipment if you have that option the hoe is a nice addition though [ damnd hard on rear sprockets though] in the long run I would do the winch addition though its easyer on the crawler and just the right weight in the right place in my mind. Digitup.

austinsailor
MC crawler
MC crawler

Darn!

Post by austinsailor » Sun May 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Well, I figured the ods were slim to have both the winch and backhoe mounted at the same time. Since I use the backhoe frequently, I guess that is the choice.

For anyone contemplating a backhoe, it is just about more than the 350C can handle. It does work reasonably well as a backhoe, but trying to use the loader with it mounted is pretty near more than it can do. If you're moving around much, it'll be doing wheelies (Trackies??) much of the time. If you contemplate adding a hoe, it's not really practical to use as you would a wheel type hoe, like a Case machine. You can do one or the other, not both without unmounting it.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun May 14, 2006 10:09 pm

Watch it case is a four letter word.LOL .Digitup.