Consensus 2

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
MattE
430 crawler
430 crawler

Consensus 2

Post by MattE » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

Well, finally got around to pulling the motor last night to replace the reverser seal after I put the kiddos to bed. Times been scarce since the wife took off.

I'm linking to pictures of the input shaft and isolator plate. The splines are about half gone. I've had luck welding and remachining splines in place before on farm equipment so I could fix the shaft in place.

Here's the new question... If the splines are bad is that indicitive of the condition of the rest of the reverser? As my previous post stated the reverser worked great and had good pressure.

Should I pull it to tear it apart, or at least check it over?
are the isolator plates still available? Internal splines are a pain for me to machine.

Also there is a pic of the radiator the cooling fins are cracked in pieces. It is fixable, but would take some time. Can you still come across a decent one?

We don't rely on this machine at all, but it's so small it comes in handy a lot. At the same time it's thirty some years old and I don't want to dump a lot of cash that I don't have for a complete rebuild. Just curious what you all would do.

Thanks
Matt

http://s827.beta.photobucket.com/user/mje171/library/

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:36 pm

While I might be tempted to try the splines on the input shaft, the reverser piece really makes me nervous.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:51 pm

You can still buy the isolater from Deere (or perhaps Lavoy?), kinda expensive, but at least they still offer it. You need to check the condition of the friction material on the front side of the disc (that butts up to the flywheel).

If the tanks on the radiator are decent, you can send your radiator out to be re-cored. Most radiator shops can do that. I did this on my first 350 and it was cheaper than locating another one.

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

radiator Re Core 350JD dozer

Post by jsal » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:21 am

I highly recommend detroit radiator there is one in PA very reasonable . best to do a re core i got my 350 dozer done for $355 from them had to drive a bit was worth it local wanted $475

JIM

MattE
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MattE » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:49 am

Do you guys think I'm ok leaving the reverser alone, or should I dig into it while I'm in this far?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:36 pm

There is a recent thread where someone asked that question- a lot of diverging opinions.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment