350B Reverser Question #141

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

350B Reverser Question #141

Post by beakes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Backstory: I started shopping for a new crawler and I found your website with great info about JD crawlers. I found a 350b crawler loader upstate, called, drove up, and gave it a test drive. Strong hydraulics, pushes strong, turns really easy (power steering) in forward and reverse (has reverse whine as described here and witnessed on youtube videos) and seller seems REALLY nice and honest. So I buy the machine and have it delivered, post pictures on this website's show & tell forum. All is well....

[Yes, I know what you were all thinking might happen when you saw my show & tell, so here it is (sort of...)]

I finally have the chance to really use the machine this last weekend. Everything seems okay for the first hour or so and then I have the machine pointed downhill (20-25 degree slope) and I try to backup in 2nd gear and the machine barely moves. I quickly put it in neutral, switch to 1st gear to backup and it moves way too slow so I stop the machine, try forward and reverse a few times and reverse is not good. The honeymoon is over and, as I check this site and others, it seems like I'm looking at thousands of dollars in repairs.

But wait! I liked this seller. Like I said, he seems like a nice, honest guy. And then I remembered that he said that he made an adjustment to the reverser (restricting orifice?) because shifting forward-to-reverse and reverse-to-forward nearly knocked him out of the seat. So I called him. He was very concerned. He said the reverser was rebuilt in 2007 and the machine sat for 4 years (while it had a log-splitter attached to the rear end and was used for splitting wood only) and it is likely that something is sticking in the reverser controls. He recommended that I try using the reverser "clutch" pedal to engage reverse rather than using the reverser control lever to switch from neutral to reverse. He said I could even try popping it into reverse using the clutch.

And guess what? I tried it and it worked! Nice strong reverse in any gear. I grabbed a good-sized tree by the root ball and dragged it backwards in 1st gear, then 2nd gear. No problems.

Now the questions:
- Does this explanation (machine sat, soft-shifting due to restricting orifice adjustment) seem reasonable to you?
Note: The forward-to-reverse shift time is about 2 - 2.5 seconds and seems to shift softly into reverse. Transition time should be about 1 to 1.2 seconds according to the manual.
- Will adjusting the restricting orifice back to 1 second transition time likely fix the problem or is it possible there more to do? (Your going to tell me to check all the pressures according to the manual so I'd better find a 0-160 gauge with hose & 1/8" npt fitting.)

Another question:
- While contemplating the most dire scenario of having to yank and rebuild the reverser, I was looking at my options: Do it myself (don't have a shop or all the tools or the time), have the local JD dealer do it (would be done right but could be very expensive), or find a reputable repair shop or mobile repair do it. Does anybody know a good JD mechanic in the NY metro area? I live about one hour north of NYC so hudson valley, western CT, etc. I don't need a mechanic now (thankfully) but it would be nice to know if there is one around just in case.

Thanks!
Last edited by beakes on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JD 350B Diesel Crawler/Loader
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:29 pm

Wow Dude if I didn't know better I'd swear you were from Missouri!! :D There are lots of words there for us humble forum folks!! :D But that's okay! I would rather have you give too much information than not enough... which happens... So on to your questions!

Most likely you can back the "Rate of Shift" screw out and cure your problem. However there are a couple of things to look for. First look at your fluid level in the reverser. Make sure it is full of fluid. I always like to keep them right at the top line or even slightly above. By that I mean an 1/8 inch or less. Next, check for debris under the floor board under your left foot, like you are sitting in the seat. Make sure there isn't anything in between the linkages causing the reverser to not engage all the way. Specifically the clutch pedal linkage at the reverser valve body. All it takes is a stick or a small stone to get in between the lever and stop on the valve body and your reverser won't engage fully.

Back to your shift screw... Sense you said this machine had sat for a while, there is a good possibility that the orifice and or the screw itself may have some rust or a little piece of debris causing it to not let enough fluid through the orifice. I've seen this cause your issue and you may have to remove the screw completely to inspect it for this. However... This can be a pain in the butt!! So I would look at everything else first.
As for you having to overhaul the reverser... I wouldn't look that far down the road just yet. If I was going to bet on this, I would say you will find what I have described. Judging from what you have described it sounds like the reverser is trying to function properly. It may just need to be tweaked a little and then run it some. See what it does from there. Good luck and keep us posted!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:01 pm

That's not the first time someone thought I was from Missouri:) Maybe I did go a little overboard on the details, but I read so many of these 350b reverser posts where folks barely gave any details and you guys had to fish it out of them.

Thanks for the quick response.

While I was browsing for solutions I came across this quote,
"The only reason a 350 is for sale is because something is wrong with it."
which got me a little scared. Thankfully, that does not appear to be true in this case but I understand the sentiment.
I plan on keeping this machine as long as I have land.
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:57 pm

You write as much as you like! :D I'm the pot calling the kettle black when it comes to writing too much! As you said, there have been enough posts where we had to literally drag the information out of them. I poke fun at people who do use a lot of explanation but only because I do the same thing. Part of this comes from growing up here in the Mid West. We're also considered in this part of MO as being in the South. Now that's a scarey combination right there!! The other comes from my Mother who always said if you don't explain things well, then how will people know how to answer you? She also told me that I was as windy as a bag of farts too!! :D So.... You write what you have on your mind!! I for one won't care that you do. As long as it is safe and sane!! We need to keep Lavoy happy with us.

Who ever said that the only reason a 350 is for sale is because it is broken is only partly right. You have to remember these machines are old. The newest "D" series was built in the early to mid 80s. I know they are newer than the 1010s and 2010s and all the old guys before them but they are well past their mid life. Some were built back in the 60s and are still going strong. I take a little exception to anyone who bad mouths Deere in general and the 350 / 450 series of machines. I've worked on them all! And yes there are a few things that Deere has done that makes me scratch my head and wonder why! But they are a good, strong and simple machines for the most part and most anyone with a little mechanical ability can work on them.
So... with that I will shut up before I really get on my soap box!! Good luck with your 350 and I hope you get another forty years out of it!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:23 pm

This quote, "The only reason a 350 is for sale is because something is wrong with it." was taken out of context. It was meant as a complement. They are hard to find because folks who have them just keep them.
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 am

beakes wrote:This quote, "The only reason a 350 is for sale is because something is wrong with it." was taken out of context. It was meant as a complement. They are hard to find because folks who have them just keep them.
I apologize for misspeaking about this comment. I should have looked it up before I made any comments of my own. In my defense, I do hear a lot of given ridicule about the 350. After reading your comment I see where I was clearly wrong. So, again I apologize.

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

No apology necessary. I was the one who posted the quote out of context.

Thank you guys for the advice. I will adjust the rate of shift screw and let you know what happens.

Also, my shift plate does not show a reverse gear and the parts manual shows that the transmission which matches this shift plate doesn't have a reverse gear. Too bad.
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Follow up...

I finally got some time to really run my 350B loader. First thing I did was adjust the screw in the restricting orifice out one turn. This put the shift time back to 1.0-1.5 seconds where it should be and now it shifts firmly into reverse. (I also put in a new starter, lift pump, engine wiring harness, and fuel filters as explained in another post.)

I've spent about a week so far cleaning up downed trees from hurricane Sandy starting close to the house and working outward. This is going to take a while... My 18 year-old son is helping too but he wants to run the machine all the time. Not fair!
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader