JD450B steering problem

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rock digger
420 crawler
420 crawler

JD450B steering problem

Post by rock digger » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 pm

Greeting to all.

I have a jd450b {dry clutch] The other day when plowing our recent 14" snow fall the following happend,

I noticed the right track as you sit on dozer was binding up and I was loosing power intermitingly [engine loading] I could smell the brake at this point. I checked the adj. and seemed to be tight so loosend the bo;t to the next detent. This worked for awhile and then the lever came all the way back and it was hard to turn to the right,left side works perfect no problems. The cluthes are new about a yr ago and have worked fine to this point.

After I got back from the woods about half mile I plowed out my Hay bales and it started to act goofy again so I adj the clutch a some so I could get it in the shop.After about 100yrds when I tried to turn, the lever came all the way back with no pressure at all and no steering at all I limped it in the shop. But have not had time to look at it . It has been 10=30 below since.

So does anybody have any Ideas,please do not answer with buy a book for it. I have all the manuals just haven;t had time to look at them or the machine. It acts like maybe a linkage or something has came loose, any Ideas would be great.If it makes any diff. it does have the power ass. on the steering cyl. under the seat. It is supposed to be in the teens this weekend I will have time to look at it then. Thanks, Rock Digger
There is always another rock under this one!

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm

It sounds like a pin holding the linkage may have come loose in the housing.
The other thing may be that the brake lining could have "unglued" from the band and is wadding up against the drum.

Joe