Bleed Fuel System For 350B w/ Two Stage Filter

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Bleed Fuel System For 350B w/ Two Stage Filter

Post by beakes » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 pm

I have a 350B diesel crawler/loader with the two stage fuel filter. (The manual says these are in the early units.) The owners manual gives instructions on how to bleed the single stage fuel filter found in the later units which is easy because the single stage filter has bleed screws but does not give instructions for bleeding the early units.

I am replacing the starter with a new high-torque starter so I need to replace the fuel transfer pump (so the starter will fit) and I will need to bleed the system. What are the steps to do this? The two stage fuel filter has 4 "plugs" (2 on the bottom and two on the top). Do I use the two plugs on the bottom to flush the filters and the two on the top to bleed the filters? It looks like these plugs require a 10pt socket or wrench. Is that true? If so, where do I get this wrench/socket? Also, do I need to bleed the fuel lines at the injectors too?

Thanks.
JD 350B Diesel Crawler/Loader
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:35 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Thanks Ken.
The dual filters were used in diesel 350Bs up through serial #191713.
I thought the plugs were metal (mine were painted over) and now I know they are plastic. So I don't need a 10pt socket :)

Good idea about replacing the filters now. I don't like that the last person who replaced the filters used permatex to seal them in place. Good thing the sediment bowls and plastic plugs are still available. Hope it comes apart easy...
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:29 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:28 am

I got the fuel filter apart yesterday without problems. The only place permatex was used was between the filter elements and the lower o-ring. Ordered new filters, plugs, seals from jdparts.com to put it back together.

I also tried the drain valve on the fuel tank sump and found the plumbing, valve, and drain line clogged with sediment. I took apart this assembly too and cleaned out the sediment in the fuel tank sump. I will check the tank outlet strainer and fuel return before I put it all back together.

I'm hoping after doing all this (including the new starter which started it all) that the machine starts easier. This all started (no pun intended) with a stubborn starting engine and a starter that would sometimes spin free after turning the engine one or two revolutions. I'll let you know...
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader

beakes
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by beakes » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I put the 350b back together today. New high-torque starter, new fuel lift pump (so the starter will fit), new fuel filters, bled the fuel system up to the input of the injector pump.

While I had everything open, I replaced the engine wiring harness. I couldn't bend the old wires without cracking the insulation and a few of the wires had been "repaired" with those blue splice connectors. A new harness from JD was only $150 (with tax and shipping).

She fired right up and runs great. Thanks to all for your responses to this and other posts which answered all my other questions.
AC H3 Gas Crawler/Loader