reverser is really hard to shift

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
subs1000w
MC crawler
MC crawler

reverser is really hard to shift

Post by subs1000w » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 pm

68 350 highlift. i assume its the cable, can i fix this with out replacing the cable $200ish or is that the only way to make this work smoothly thanks

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Your cable is probably the best way to fix your problem. This is one of the rare occasions that I will direct you from Deere and tell you to go check somewhere else for a cable. These shift cables are for the most part a standard "Push Pull" cable. Check here with Lavoy, the owner of this site first to see what he may offer. If he doesn't have anything, then you could take the old one out and go to your local Parts store and see what they can do to match what you have. It won't hurt anything for it to be a little longer than your original. Just not shorter! You could also check online with "Grainger" or "McMaster Carr" I have ordered cables from both of these companies with good results.
Your other alternative would be to convert your shifter from the cable shifter on the dash to the hand shifter on the left arm rest. You would have to come up with all the parts either from Deere or from salvage. It would be considerably more work but you would have a nicer shifter to use and no cable to seize up. This would cost considerably more as well. Hope this helps! Good luck!! :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:01 pm

Leonard - Could you briefly describe what you mean by converting the reverser cable to a hand shifter on the left arm rest. Is this done by getting parts for or from a later model with the lever mounted on the left arm rest or by shade tree engineering (which I'm most familar with)
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Conversion

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 pm

You should be able to find the lever and mounts from a wrecker. Much nicer to operate and you should come out the same on costs. I personally like original and if the cable lasted this long...

I am thinking it will be tough to change the cable, will require lots if patience on the reverser end. Not much room to work, you may want to remove the battery box.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:26 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:54 am

cdunn wrote:Leonard - Could you briefly describe what you mean by converting the reverser cable to a hand shifter on the left arm rest. Is this done by getting parts for or from a later model with the lever mounted on the left arm rest or by shade tree engineering (which I'm most familar with)
Well, Ken has asked all the questions and has given some really good advice on the entire cable system. It may be easier for you to do as he has suggested. Jason is also correct in that on the Reverser end of the cable there isn't much room to work. So Patients is the key word here.

To answer your question on the arm rest shifter more directly. Yes, you will need to find the parts off of a newer machine. Most likely from a salvage operation. If you do this, be prepared for some work. You again will have to deal with working in very tight quarters and will need to be patient and willing to put in some time. You will also have to have some basic mechanical ability.
I have done a few of these and I take the skid pan down and the left running board off. I've never removed the battery box but have threatened to! Probably should have! :)

Before you go to all of this trouble, I would heed what Ken has pointed out and maybe try some of the things he has mentioned first. I should have mentioned the freeze / rust issue and didn't. Sorry about that!! I'm getting old and forgetful! :wink:
It would be nice to know where in the country you are at. You don't have to be specific just a general location will give us an idea of what conditions your machine is in. Like me, I'm South West of St.Louis Missouri. KenP is in New Hampshire and Jason is in Canada. Just a general location helps a lot. :D
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: You know what? Talk about stupid!! I owe cdunn an apology!! :oops: I thought I was answering a question from the original post and it was a question from cdunn!!! I am sorry about that dude!! I should have looked to see who I was talking to and I didn't!! cdunn has all of his information on his profile and I just flat blew it on that one guys!! If you ever come to Missouri I'll let you kick my hind end!! I should have been directing my last post to the original poster!!! I am sorry!! :)

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:50 pm

No problem at all Leonard, I got the information I asked for just the same. If I ever come to Missouri again, I promise the reason will not be just to kick your rear end. The reverser lever on my 350 dozer is a little hard to operate but the main problem for me is having to reach for it. I would rather set back in the seat and have it right under my left hand. I have become so lazy since I retired, I'm the one needing a rear end kicking.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 pm

I can certainly relate to the "Lazy Retiree" ! I suffer from that myself. Just ask my wife who is still working!!! Well... maybe you shouldn't ask her!

Glad you got the info you needed and if I can help let me know. You can go to the John Deere Parts page and look up the parts you will need. Most 350Bs have the newer shifter but the 350Cs will have it for sure. I would look for a salvage dealer and pick them up there. They will be a lot cheaper than new will be from Deere. You can check with Deere... who knows they may be reasonable, but I doubt it.
Thanks for being understanding and have a good "Lazy" retirement!!