450 Loader broken rails/frame

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Torpex
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 Loader broken rails/frame

Post by Torpex » Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm

Hello,
I am not sure if anyone here is familiar with a "condition" I have been told is a common weakness in the 450 & 350 models.
The machine is a 1971 450 loader and the frames or rails that are welded to the transmission that run up the sides of the engine, are bolted to the undercarriage stabilizer, and wrap around the front, under the engine are broken from where they are welded in the back.

So my questions are;
1- Anyone encounter this on their machine?
2- What can be done to fix this and not have it reoccur?
3- Did John Deere have any solutions?

Thanks in advance for your experience!

Frank
Old machinery has less contaminants in the Steel! :wink:

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon May 22, 2006 2:32 pm

Frank thats your main frame that is broken! Where is the brake located ?Could you put up a photo?These are replaceable BUT what else has flexed to create this.Lookclose for other cracks or breaks When these fail the bell housing takes a beating and also has to flex .That frame holds the rad motor bellhousing and transmision case in place I had one break on a 450B years ago It is the weekest part of the tractor it seams. Show us some pics if you can .Digitup.

Torpex
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Torpex » Mon May 22, 2006 7:49 pm

Thanks Digitup!
I was going to buy this machine and nearly did! However when I noticed the final drives were loose from the trans I decided against it. That's prolly the reason the owner is selling it for 3900.00.

Frank
Old machinery has less contaminants in the Steel! :wink:

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue May 23, 2006 6:42 pm

I always figure it is better that the next guy owns a mess like that .The way you break a frame rail is to fall of an edge and hit one track hard. Before the other one hits the ground you have at least two big messes. One being the rail the other could be any one of the cast housings that it took in that twist it just got that broke that weld you noticed .Always try for scrap metal price though and part it out .Digitup.