My new toy didn't make it 2 hours.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Hutch350B
420 crawler
420 crawler

My new toy didn't make it 2 hours.

Post by Hutch350B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I done a pretty good once over when I bought my JD350B but it has some problems that dont show up till you have worked it a while.

I think (from what I have read here and the tech manual) that I have them figured out but thought I would bounce them off of people familiar with the machine.

First, after about 20-30 mins of working the left steering clutch got to where it was not working going forward, works fine in reverse but seem to just stall both tracks going forward. This would mean the right hand clutch is slipping correct? At any rate I am going to go over the clutches and set them all to factory specs before I get too excited. Ordered a tech manual and parts book the day I bought the dozer, premonition maybe? LOL

Second problem, after about 1-2 hours of running the dozer overheated, bad. I checked the coolant level before running and it was a little low, added about a quart or two to top it off. It ran for an hour or two before I noticed steam coming out and it was hot, I dont think the guage was working and I was worried I had burnt the engine up but it started and ran fine the next day while I was trying to figure out what the overheating problem was so maybe I got lucky.

The water pump is circulating, and thermostat is opening up....but I have bubbles in the radiator core...lots of them. To me that has always meant a blown headgasket (possible cracked head or block but usually headgasket) right?

Anyway I went down today and ordered rocker and head gaskets, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, water pump gaskets, radiator cap, thermostat and picked up a new temperature guage.

I am just going to replace the head gasket and see if the bubbles and overheating stop. I will assess the water pump once I have it off but it seemed tight and not leaking.

Any suggestions, comments or things I might have forgot? The book calls for permatex #3 for the headgasket and I dont think that is even available anymore. Will just standard permatex sealant be ok?

Thanks for the help
Hutch
~Hutch
JD 350-B

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Hutch,
I has a similar problem with both tracks locking up. It was a brake band out of adjustment and it would grab and pull back up the linkage in a way that would pull the brake on the other side as well. Reverse, and it would break free. As long as I did not pull the right side steering lever all the way back until the brake grabbed I could get it around the yard without issue. I adjusted it as per the manual and so far all is fine. Perhaps it was a sign of repairs to come??? But for now all is OK. So good luck, I hope your steering is an easy fix as well.
I have read about guys pressurizing their cooling system with the air compressor to listen for leaks. It sounds simple enough with a modified rad cap but, I have not tried it as yet. My 350b came with some needed repairs, not huge but once done, it has been many hours of steady running without much trouble. I hope you have the same success.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Hutch350B
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Hutch350B » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Yeah if I continue to have leaks I will do a pressure test to find a leak, but I know I either have a bad head gasket or cracked head because if you look in the radiator it sits there just bubbling away....even when the engine is cold.

I sincerely hope my steering problem is a simple fix. I worked as a diesel mechanic on oilfeild and smaller construction equipment in my younger years so it is well within my capabilities....I just hate that I had to find out the way I did. I bought it as a "good working" dozer and it "seemed" to check out ok...but a hour or two's hard work brought out these issues.

Actually traded my Harley Road King for it, and it was a peach...so kinda sore about it I guess LOL
~Hutch
JD 350-B

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am

Your steering issues could be any number of things and you will just have to look and see what is going on there. I would suspect either moisture or oil or pressure plates as well as the brake bands. Without being able to see it for myself it's hard to judge.

Your engine sounds like you have nailed the issue there. Your head gasket shouldn't require any coating at all and I know the book calls for it. Some use "Copper Coat" and it is good stuff. However I would check to make sure your gasket doesn't already have a coating on it as Copper Coat will react with some gasket coatings. Personal experience on that... I would go ahead and have your Cylinder head checked while you have it off. Older Deere engines were a little prone to crack but the newer replacements are better. I'm not saying that the older heads are bad, I'm just saying they were a little more prone to cracking than newer heads. Just a good idea to have it checked for being flat and not cracked.
Also be sure when you do replace the gasket to follow the "Re-Torque" procedure and re-torque the head bolts after you have ran the engine long enough to warm up to operating temperature. I've seen these bolts back way off on the torque after they heat up the first time.
Sorry you lost your Harley in the process of trading but with a little luck maybe you can get this thing going and have some fun with it. I know a Harley is hard to beat for fun but it aint no bull dozer either!! :D Good luck and let us know what you find
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Hutch350B
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Hutch350B » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Update: Got the headgasket installed, steer clutches/brakes adjusted, new thermostat and misc tinkering.

Overheating problem is gone :) The headgasket wasnt "blown" but obviously it was leaking somewhere. The bubbles are gone out of the radiator.

The steering is still not top shelf but very usable now. I think the right hand brake band is gone, it didnt adjust firmly....it came to a dead stop like it was out of adjustment.

Was able to run it long enough for it to get hot because it lost about 3 quarts of coolant....the bottom radiator tank looks bad and seen dampness on it but wasnt sure if I spilled fluid when I was filling it back up. My guess is the previous owner didnt watch the coolant level and got it hot and fried the headgasket, it was taking about 30 mins before it would overheat so I didnt catch it when I bought it and just flat forgot to look in the radiator when it was running. Live and you learn :)

Any suggestion on radiator sealers? I will replace it or have it reconditioned this winter but I have a project that needs to get done now before fire season gets here.

Overall, I think if I can get the radiator sealed I should be good to go till this winter when I can do some serious work on it.
~Hutch
JD 350-B