Removable traction

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jhubert
430 crawler
430 crawler

Removable traction

Post by jhubert » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:56 pm

First off I love my loader pads because they get enough traction to dig with the bucket but are rather gentle on the hay/grass if you plan your turns ahead of time. But I'd like to have some studs or something removable for some steep side hill clearing. I've heard of welding rebar on to build up the grouser but I want to go back to normal when done without cutting/grinding. I noticed that my two bar pads have 4 holes each for chain bolts and two holes that are unused. Would bolting a stud through these holes wrinkle the pad up when turning? I'm thinking of maybe a 1/2-13 coupling nut with a hex bolt through it from the inside out.
455G with 9310G hoe

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

On my 350b loader.....5/8 bolts work great. I had two on every 3rd pad with a nut on each side of the pad. With that setup on both tracks, at least three sets of bolts were in contact with the ground at all times. Be careful to always gear low for some track slip when pulling or your clutches will get hurt.
Also, if you have to much bolt sticking out on the inside of the pad they will rub on the rock guards and make getting them off really tough. Just enough to fill the inside nut is good. I used this help for logging but crossing frozen ponds and roads was very rough. In the bush it was great.
I used 2 1/4 inch 5/8 hardened bolts but would go a little shorter next time perhaps 2 inch or 1 3/4
Scott

Image[IMG]http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t40 ... -00314.jpg[/IMG
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

jhubert
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jhubert » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 am

Now thats awesome. Pic and everything! I would like to post a pic of mine when I figure it out. Photobucket wasnt cooperating last night thats for sure.
455G with 9310G hoe

jhubert
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by jhubert » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:51 pm

This is my current setup (providing pic works) and I'd like everyone's input. The existing holes are not even close to the bar that supports the weight of the machine. Is using those holes still ok?
455G with 9310G hoe

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:46 pm

jhubert wrote:Image

This is my current setup (providing pic works) and I'd like everyone's input. The existing holes are not even close to the bar that supports the weight of the machine. Is using those holes still ok?
Good question. I think it would be fine is SOFT material. Those pads are tough. I bent one before when I was 'reducing' material left from a burned down shop building.
A tire iron that was left in the rubble got between the pads and got pinched. Just for fun, I tried to straighten the bent pad. A definite NO GO!

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:05 pm

I'd bet that bolts like Scotty recommended put in every other pad would work in PA. You're trying to get something that punches into the frost (frozen ground) for grip, but still allows the machine to turn without generating too much torque in the track system when turning.
I'd use shorter bolts for strength and reduced wear, and less tearing of the ground - I hate raking up the lawn after crossing it.
You can make your caulks more or less aggressive as you see fit for your needs. Did you ever see the spikes they put on motocross bikes that race on ice?
http://www.ncomotorsport.se/litenwebinnova21.jpg
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:24 am

deleted
No longer posting on JDCrawlers