450G right track locked up

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Winspeak
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Winspeak » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 pm

I have lurked on this forum for a couple of years but now need some suggestions for the most likely problem I have encountered. First, this is a 450G LGP. It has been a great farm machine. I pushed a large pile of trees and scrub which put the machine under a heavy load but it handled it ok. Shortly thereafter the right track locked up in forward and reverse. The machine would only move a couple of inches either way. The right steering pedal was mushy as well.

Troubleshooting so far-
1- I pulled the steering control valve to ensure the springs below were ok. They were.
2- I set the machine up to tow it to the shop. Both tow pins were depressed and locked the brakes off (in theory) reality was that track was still locked.
3-opened the brake adjustment access ports on left and right side of machine, left side had very little movement when pushed on/ lifted with screwdriver. Right side had lots of movement.

Next steps- I plan to pull the rear cover to access the right clutch assembly. Any suggestions from those of you who have been down this road? Am I going the right way or is there another likely culprit in this type problem?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Winford

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:10 am

Never had problems with them my self I have had a 550G in the shop with a over tightened brake band though kind of messed things up bad that was a long time ago so memory is poor on repairs but if it is that solid it doesn't sound good at all I am thinking bull gear if it isn't moving at all!!.Digitup.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:12 am

dam double post!!!

Winspeak
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Winspeak » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 pm

Will let you know what I find when I get the cover off. Thanks for the insight.
Winford- 450G,6400,6415,200

Winspeak
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Winspeak » Sun May 05, 2013 6:36 am

Well, finally got the machine out of the field and up to the shop. Started the tear down expecting to find something broken with the right brake but as I got the dirt cleared away from the right quill/pinion gear cover I noticed the final drive case was cracked from something hitting it from inside.

Found the gear that drives the final drive from the pinion gear broken (is this called the bull gear?) and in pieces. Now time to pull the final drive and begin the repair/replacement of damaged parts. While we have it torn down this far we will rebuild steering clutches and check brakes.

Any other suggestions for me?
Winford
Winford- 450G,6400,6415,200