350B purchase

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jvoisinelogging
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B purchase

Post by jvoisinelogging » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm

Hello, new member here. Ive been looking at a 72 350B dozer. The engine was redone around 300 hrs ago as well as the chains and sprockets. It has a 6- way blade and a reverser. The dozer seems to work great and one of the only leaks is the tilt cylinder for the blade needs resealing. The only 2 concerns I had was I noticedthe left steering lever pulls back further than the right one does. Is this typicaly caused by adjustments or maybe a linkage problem? Also I had the owner drive it back and forth so I could watch for anything unusual from the.outside. I noticed that it appears the engine moves alot when driving it. I did not have time to examine more thoroughly that day but is there something or somewhere i should examine next time I go see it.....regarding engine flex.or mounting? Thanks in advance

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:45 am

deleted
Last edited by KenP on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No longer posting on JDCrawlers

jvoisinelogging
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jvoisinelogging » Wed May 01, 2013 5:31 am

KenP wrote:A hearty welcome to a fellow New Englander! :)

The brake/clutch adjustment procedure on a 350 with dry clutches is not a big deal. Only takes a few minutes. Pulling a final due to a bad brake/clutch is time consuming and expensive.

I'd suggest that you insist on the owner getting the brakes/clutch system adjusted per the Service Manual and make sure all is well. If he refuses to do that, you know there's something wrong.

There are no engine mounts. In a 350, the engine is solidly bolted to the front of the Reverser housing which, in turn, is solidly bolted to the crawler frame and the front of the transmission. If the engine is moving under load, I'd suspect a broken or cracked frame. The engine should not be moving around nor should any of the major driveline sections.
Pull the floor plates in the operators compartment and check the bolts between the Reverser and the Trans... you can easily see the two nuts right up top. They should be tight. If there is any play or evidence of movement, the machine has significant (and expensive) repair issues ahead.
Okay thanks, I will be going back to look at it and verify what I saw was engine movement and if so try and find the cause. Thanks for the reply.

jvoisinelogging
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jvoisinelogging » Wed May 01, 2013 6:51 pm

Well went to do some invesigating as to what was causing the engine movement. It appears you were correct, the frame is cracked. Now I have never worked on one of these dozers but if someone could verify that these bolts do attach to the reverser. This pic is on the inside of the blade arms, just about equal on theframe with the upper track roller, slightly lower though. This side is seperated, the other side is cracked too but not nearly this bad. I can get the tractor for quite a bit lower as is, I can tackle this repair for sure. Is this common with the 350's?? Thanks again http://www.flickr.com/photos/95468740@N ... hotostream

mikeintn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by mikeintn » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 pm

Let me say I'm no expert, but I think that picture is of the frame rail where it bolts to the cross member, I think someone has welded it after it had probably been ran with bolts loose and or missing.
They are probably more bolts missing also on the inside of the cross member and where it bolts to the side frames.
I think KenP was talking about the bolts that bolts the reverser to the trans. and he is right, if they are pulled loose or been run loose then you are in for major work and money.
I think it would be a good ideal if you could find someone that knows about the 350 to go with you and look at it.
Good luck: Mike
Michael

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Frame repair

Post by JWB Contracting » Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 pm

If the bolts are broken, it's a minimum 30 hour repair. It involves pulling the engine and reverser in order to get the broken bolts out of the reverser. I always pull the loader or Dozer as well.

Check the reverser to transmission and frame to clutch housing bolts while you are at it.

There should be a big price difference between a solid 350 and one with frame issues.

Fairly common problem on these crawlers. I bought a 350C widepad Dozer with a 9550 hoe at Ritchie sale in Edmonton last week. First thing I looked for was crossmembers and frame sections and yes the frame / reverser bolts are broken. I wanted the hoe attachment bad enough that it didn't matter. My collection of 350's never seems to go down.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

KenP
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by KenP » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 am

deleted
No longer posting on JDCrawlers