JD350B question

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

JD350B question

Post by PBibens » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi all....
I'm new here, and really enjoy the insight of everyone. I have a JD 350B, that is in pretty good shape basically. Everything is tight.... Not alot of obvious wear and it's performed well for years. But recently I took it on about a 20 percent slope to clear some major brush, and experienced a problem. The right side track stops driving when I pull the left clutch, and it makes an ugly noise.....track stops. It now does it on level ground. I checked the transmission oil, and it is full but milky, and foamy. Is there a separate reservoir for the reverser? My question is, other than major wear or mechanical failure, could this problem be fluid related only? I sure hope so! I'll be changing all the fluids to see if that helps. Looking forward to your insights / similar experiences.

Thanks, Pat

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:17 pm

your right side steering clutch is slipping .... get your service manual out and go through the adjustment procedure if that does not fix it then you will have to pull the clutch as for milky oil change it
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:20 pm

I have a manual, and I adjusted the steering clutches, and brake band tension / set screw per instructions and it still slips. Thank you for your input, much appreciated!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:17 pm

As Richard said, it sounds like your right side steering clutch is likely slipping. The 350Bs use mechanical steering clutches, so adding or changing fluid in the reverser or transmission (although good for those components) will have no beneficial effect on the steering clutches.

A simple test on level ground is to push the dozer blade or loader bucket into a relatively immoveable object like a large pile of dirt, a large tree, etc. You should see both tracks continuing to turn at the same rate and/or the engine bog down. It's likely from what you described will see the right side track stop.

Since you already tried adjustment, you will likely have to pull the right final drive to see what is going on with the clutch in the steering clutch housing. I believe that the steering clutch on a 350B can't be removed from the clutch housing without removing the final drive. There are a multitude of reasons that you could be having the slipping problem including oil soaked clutch discs, stripped disc keyways, etc. which should be apparent once the final is removed. If oil soaked, it is likely an oil seal is worn and needs replaced.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm

Awesome! Good information, much appreciated! Does anybody have the service manual they would like to sell? (TM1032) Looks like I'll be tearing into it soon. When I go to the trouble to open it up, should I replace other components?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 am

If I had to remove the final drive and open up a steering clutch housing, I would also want to at least inspect if not replace the brake band as well as inspect/replace all the fiber and steel discs for the steering clutch. I would also check the pressure plate, oil seals for the final drive, and inspect the bearings in the final drive as it is a good time to access them. I would clean out the housing, and if you replace the clutch be sure to use the clutch gauge. Be careful when you buy steering clutch parts as they are not all made equal and some are known to be inferior- there is a thread discussing that if you search the archives for it. If you purchase them from Lavoy you should be OK.

Lavoy and others may have additional tips on what should be done. it's one of those deals that once you go to all the effort to get in there, you might as well address what you can easily access.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:49 am

Great minds think alike..... I was thinking the same thing. Looks like I need to save up some money! What's a ballpark figure for parts, if I do all the labor myself, and replace all the afore mentioned items? Thanks again.... What a great resource this forum is!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 pm

The JDparts website will give you current Deere prices which usually would be an upper limit. You can look up Deere prices here (search for 350B) by adding them to the parts cart:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com. ... ervlet_Alt

You probably should ask Lavoy that question (you can PM or e-mail him) to get current prices he would charge for parts- Lavoy can usually beat Deere prices, even with shipping. I try to support him when he has them available as he provides a wealth of knowledge on this site.

If I had to guess, you are probably talking about the $500 to $800 range (per side) for most if not all the items mentioned, but haven't itemized or looked up lately so it will be interesting to see how close I am on that.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:16 pm

Steering clutch kit is in the $640 range give or take.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Before you start tearing everything apart, check for water in the steering clutch housing.
Find the plugs that are in the bottom of the housing and remove them. If water runs out then let it dry for a couple of days and try to run it again.

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Now that I will do.... Cause I left it sit all winter and maybe it leaked water in. It has always worked fine till now.... I'll change the fluids too. Thanks!!

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:51 pm

I would check for mositure through the inspection ports and drain plugs as OlJoe recommended- I had assumed (obviously incorrectly) that you had already done so.

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Are the inspection plates you speak of directly under the seat or elsewhere? And are the drain plugs down low inside the track?

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:35 am

PB-

The inspection plates are on top of the steering clutch housing and the drain plug is at the bottom of it. I am not sure on a 350B what other parts obscure seeing the housing (it also varies on whether a loader or dozer), but generally the plates would be to either side of the seat and the plugs would be just to the inside of the tracks and final drives.

In absence of having the manuals you should view the parts sectionals at at the JD parts link I previously suggested- search for 350B, then crawler tractor, then sectional view, then steering clutch housing.

Also if you are looking for manuals, there are a number pf posts with the link to the Deere website- you can order as a hardcopy, CD/DVD, or immediate PDF download.

PBibens
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by PBibens » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:47 am

Again, thanks very much. I am getting a couple of railroad ties today, to drive the dozer up on cause its pretty hard to get under the tractor when it's on the ground, and ordering a manual. I guess there is a small plug on the bottom of the housing that I haven't found yet. I pulled a half inch plug, that sits horizontally down at the bottom of the housing with a 3/8" Allen drive and oil came out. I presume that the drain plug for the final drive and oil is normal. The oil looked clean, which was a good sign! According to the model and serial search, I have a 67' straight 350, not a B model. Anyway.... quite the adventure.