JD450B undertray or ? hanging

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:11 am

Hi:
These type tanks are often sold on craigslist for less than this one.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/3894538807.html

You could use some firewood logs to get your crawler in the air. two about 2' long and what ever diameter seems right at the rear will lift that end. Do the same at the front by blocking the blade lifting the front end and sliding two more under the tracks and you have the whole machine in the air solidly without too much difficulty or risk. Don't use concrete blocks; they can fail catastrophically. Be careful working on your belly pan, As said, they are heavy and usually sprung so getting the holes lined up and the bolts caught is a challenge - watch your fingers, and have a helper. belly pans can fall on you while installing, so I usually have some sort of block next to me so I have some escape room if needed. Good luck with your project.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 am

Paul Buhler wrote:Hi:
These type tanks are often sold on craigslist for less than this one.
http://burlington.craigslist.org/for/3894538807.html

You could use some firewood logs to get your crawler in the air. two about 2' long and what ever diameter seems right at the rear will lift that end. Do the same at the front by blocking the blade lifting the front end and sliding two more under the tracks and you have the whole machine in the air solidly without too much difficulty or risk. Don't use concrete blocks; they can fail catastrophically. Be careful working on your belly pan, As said, they are heavy and usually sprung so getting the holes lined up and the bolts caught is a challenge - watch your fingers, and have a helper. belly pans can fall on you while installing, so I usually have some sort of block next to me so I have some escape room if needed. Good luck with your project.
Thanks, I thought of the logs after I saw the post on railroad ties, that may work as well. I also realized I can get the front up in the air using the loader down force.

I am wondering if I might be able to attach a winch to the belly pan to straighten it if needed.

I did presume the pan was hundreds of pounds, so will be careful. In general the weight of everything about the crawler keeps me alert!

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes."
Thomas Jefferson

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:43 pm

I am wondering if I might be able to attach a winch to the belly pan to straighten it if needed.
To do the job, you'll be using all your tools and imagination. Sprung belly pans are a pain to re-attach. Check the threads you're attaching to. Often they are beat up and you'll get a bolt started and when you begin to tighten things they go sproing dropping the pan in a hurry. Sounds like you've been around machinery a bit, so I don't want to sound like a know it all. Best wishes. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:
To do the job, you'll be using all your tools and imagination. Sprung belly pans are a pain to re-attach. Check the threads you're attaching to. Often they are beat up and you'll get a bolt started and when you begin to tighten things they go sproing dropping the pan in a hurry. Sounds like you've been around machinery a bit, so I don't want to sound like a know it all. Best wishes. Paul
I do have a welder coming for another repair, and am thinking it might me possible to have it welded in place. I am sure it is less than ideal, as it might need to be removed, but the welds could be ground out, and in the mean time I would have it usable again.
Thomas Jefferson

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:07 am

possible to have it welded in place
Of course it's your call, but some food for thought.

Bolts are cheaper than a welders time; strong overhead welding in tight places is challenging and time consuming; when you need to remove the pan in the future ( and you probably will), you'll be grinding/torching overhead in a tight confined place; and you'll need to reweld/bolt in the pan at that time.

The welder will be able to heat and help you straighten your pan if you don't own torches, and most welders have mechanical skills too - two heads are sometimes better than one. good luck
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:13 am

Paul Buhler wrote:
possible to have it welded in place
Of course it's your call, but some food for thought.

Bolts are cheaper than a welders time; strong overhead welding in tight places is challenging and time consuming; when you need to remove the pan in the future ( and you probably will), you'll be grinding/torching overhead in a tight confined place; and you'll need to reweld/bolt in the pan at that time.

The welder will be able to heat and help you straighten your pan if you don't own torches, and most welders have mechanical skills too - two heads are sometimes better than one. good luck
Good food for thought, thanks, Perhaps just using his skill (while there anyways) to get it ready to be bolted in, is the right solution. He has a 4 hour minimum, so if the other repair takes less, it is time I want to take advantage of!
Thomas Jefferson