650G tranny problems

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

650G tranny problems

Post by chrismcfishing » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm new here so hello to all, I have 650G lpg direct drive tractor. While operating last week 1st gear seemed to be weak, then came second, and fourth gears. It wont push or move forward or reverse in any gears except 3rd. This was all after it was sandblasted and painted. This problem came all of a sudden so I don't think its clutches. So maybe trash in spool? I have not performed any test yet to see if pressure to packs is there. I work offshore and I'm out here now and it driving me crazy what it could be. Any ideas? thanks

DanTheMan
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by DanTheMan » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:27 pm

Had a similar problem with my 1988 450G. I didn't have time to fix it myself so I took to the Deere dealer.

The dealer replaced the transmission hydraulic lines. These lines are internal to the transmission case. All of these parts have been revised and strengthened, so replace all of them.

If that is the problem, the transmission has to be removed replace the lines. Since you have a 650G, it should have the double reduction final drives. If so, I think the final drive input shafts can be removed to pull the transmission. Otherwise the final drives will have to be removed.

Good Luck.
JD 420C - Loader
JD 350B - Dozer
JD 450G - Dozer
JD 3720 - CUT
JD Short Frame B
JD 112 - its a classic

chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

650g tranny

Post by chrismcfishing » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Thanks for the help, I have heard of that problem before. I just got home from offshore today, and ran a few hydraulic test on the clutch packs. So far all of the packs are showing 180 psi but swinging up and down 20 psi or so. I am going to put flow meter and a full series of gauges on valve manifold in the morning so I can see the whole picture at once. If it was the metal lines any ideas what to look for?

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 am

Just curiosity but is your crawler LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) or LGP (Low Ground Pressure)? I am hoping your problem is simple.
Bryce
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK

chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by chrismcfishing » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:48 pm

LGP I typed it wrong. BTW I have ran a few test, turns out I have 180psi on every pack except 4. It has no psi at all, everything else is within 10 psi or so. I am going to pull valve body tomorrow and perform air test on packs, and have a look inside valve body for communication or broken or leaky parts. If nothing in there no choice but pull the tranny.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 am

what is your serial number ? There was a revision on the shifter bank and trany work as well around 2nd series .I don't know if the serial number chart shows the four series's of builds there were but 650G's had some big changes internally.over the build and I only got a second series than traded to a fourth .I would send you back to the dealer but remember that these old Deere's are getting to the age that Mom Deere doesn't support them much You can take a chance and try but the old attitude of keeping every thing John Deere running is falling by the way side .Don't say any thing but talk to them as several up grades were available for the first series and may have been or even may not have been installed Deere will know they keep a good record back into the 450E series days That is about the only thing I have heard about the 650G dozer they are the best Deere ever made take my word for it .Digitup.

chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by chrismcfishing » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:37 pm

So I got the transmission control off and tore down, only thing I found was one of the detent springs was bent, I don't think it would matter but I'm going to replace it, also I shot some air to the clutch packs and found that 1,2,4 all have excessive blowby and third is the only pack that really holds it own. I believe I will go ahead and rack out this tranny and have a look see. Any ideas for good deere parts for these tractors? I priced the clutches at deere and they are $80 bucks each and I think I need 14? Thanks for all the unput guys! I will keep you updated in next day or so.

chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by chrismcfishing » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:08 am

So me and my dad pulled tranny, 1,2,4 are shot some of clutches don't even have linings, forward is beyond tolerance which leaves me with reverse and third, so I'm going to go thru it Monday. I'm sure that is the problem.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:02 am

Send me part numbers, I may be able to get you clutches cheaper.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

chrismcfishing
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by chrismcfishing » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:29 am

well i'm back dozin after new clutches and several plates, only fourth gear had any wear on seals, i guess since it it the bypass for the hydraulic system? But at any rate its fixed and i'm glad. Thanks to all that put in their info. [/b]