450 b tranny leak

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rock digger
420 crawler
420 crawler

450 b tranny leak

Post by rock digger » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:29 pm

My 450b leaks tranny fluid and is getting worse, when looking up past the drawbar from the bottom it seems to be coming from the top of the case on the left side and running down to the bottom. Are there any lines or seals that would cause this to be that anybody can think of? Is it possible to be the gasket on the top of the case? Thought I would see if anybody has has a simular problem b4 I dove into it. Thanks.
There is always another rock under this one!

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:53 pm

You should be able to pull the seat cushion and see the top of the transmission.
Clean all of the oil and grease off of the transmission with a pressure washer.
Start it and look for the leak.
There aren’t any pressure ports that go into the transmission top cover on a 450B but the rotating components inside will sling oil at the cover. It would have to be really loose or missing sections of the gasket for much oil to escape.
How much oil are you loosing?

pondhogvt
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by pondhogvt » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Just a thought but by any chance does your 450B have the optional power steering ?? if so look for leaks at the boost cylinders and lines going to them. they sit on top of tranny case and could be leaking down, Also of course check fluid level in tranny to be sure it is the tranny leaking as it would be low on fluid.

Good luck, Mark.
350 loader,350c dozer winch and arch,450c winch and arch,450e winch and arch,D37p komatsu lgp dozer,D85 Komatsu dozer,D8k Caterpillar.

rock digger
420 crawler
420 crawler

450b leak

Post by rock digger » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you to the 2 who have tried to help. I was wodering if there were any pressure port on the top or if the oil was slung from the intierior of trans. I will look as soon as it quits raining out side again thanks for the info, I would say it loses about a gallon a day, I have checked it is the trans fluid as it is low at the end of the day.

As for the ranters I did not name anybody specificaly, seems as though you may have not read the post. As stated I have all the books and did not mean for anybody to get there panties in a wad over this I have inroduced myself and have stated there is a wealth of knowlege here so back up and re-read what I asked and said. As said no offence was meant but if some was taken then well ???????

As for leanart I know how you feel about loosing your Dad I lost mine almost 12 yrs ago and still miss him everyday. He took alot of knowlege with that I miss dearly,

I did not want anybody to have a fit and quit the forum, Maybe what has been happening is what I was trying to say but it came across all wrong. If you want to refer to me as a dumb ass that is your choice. But when you look in the mirror you may be surprised.

Also to Lavoy, I am sorry if I stepped on some toes here , I think you have a great thing going but had to state my opinion but seems as though it sure opened a can of worms. Good luck to all.
There is always another rock under this one!

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Sometimes it is hard to find out where the oil is leaking.
You can look through this thread to see what I went through to find a transmission leak.
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=7602