there seems to be click

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
rock digger
420 crawler
420 crawler

there seems to be click

Post by rock digger » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 pm

I have noticed recently that unless you are newbie here or part of the click who is here all the time your ?s won't get a answer. Maybe KenP is not so far off on not posting here anymore
There is always another rock under this one!

Paul45
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Paul45 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 am

Rock digger, i have found that people help those who Help themselves.
in your recent posts you make No refererance to looking at parts books to see if the parts are the same for both machines which would answer your own questions or posted pictures. you make no mention that your removered covers and checked hoses and fittings that could cause simple leaks.
i have also noticed that if no one has the answer, they don't respond.

Not sure why Kenp left the site but he would have already gave you an ear full about the lack of info and if your have parts books and sevice manuals. Good luck paul
thanks Paul

350 track loader, 350 dozer

kedorland
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by kedorland » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:55 am

I'm as green as they come here, however, if it is as stated above I don't see it.

Over the last few years, I've found a wealth of much needed information on here. As I progress (hopefully) on our 450C repair and trouble shooting am certain I'll need, and find, much more time earned wisdom.
1975 450C. 1977 450CA loader, with winch and log arch. Is true..tracked equipment is addicting.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Rock Digger, I have a little better understanding than maybe some do about the reasons KenP and a few other veteran crawler guys have stopped or limited involvement on the site- it is definitely not because they are "clique-ish" but rather like Paul has stated it is somewhat aggavating to them that many members take no time to describe the problem, do initial troubleshooting, post pics, etc., yet want a definitive answer.

What is particularly aggavating to some of the veteran crawler guys is asking them to post up copyrighted material like pages out of a manual, ask a question with no context such as "I have a 450 dozer- what is it worth?", or ask a question whose answer is easily found by searching the archived posts on the forum. it's also a pet peeve to many of them when advice is given and promptly ignored or questioned, especially when many of them were Deere mechanics their entire life.

I know that when I started posting on this forum I was probably as green as they come with respect to crawlers but I did take the time to search the archived posts so I could ask a more informed question that hasn't been answered a thousand times. Very rarely have I not received a response, and when i did it was because I believe no one had an answer to give. Nowadays I have been on this board so long that if it is a common question I am able to resurrect the original threads in which they were discussed which gives better information as well as saves me time. However it is something easily done by others so i try to only do that when it is clearly something not easily found in a search but I know the thread that contains the topic or answer.

I was disappointed to see that Ken deleted all of his previous posts- while that his is right it has made reading some of the previous threads difficult.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Well some of us are in the busy part of the year as well I my self have had no time to be on here but have glanced several times and nothing I could answer I also agree that some of these questions are vague beyond making sense so I over look them I do believe if you have a machine also have the Parts Manual and the Operators Manual for that machine as well you should try real hard to find a Tech Manual these answer most questions a novice of rookie should have .If there is something about that machine you don't understand then read the manuals please .At this point I have six machines in an eight bay shop so I have no time when I hit the shop and twenty eight others working on job sites when I am at the shop so I have no time I even tell customers I am not avoiding you I am ignoring you [for the time being any way]Be patient please guys We can't get back to you as fast as most would like and intelligent answers take time !!.digitup.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Let's cool this one down just a little bit!
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Out of respect to Lavoy I will try and be as cool as I can. However right now I'm pretty darn hot.
It amazes me how people can come on here, new or old and not even take the time to introduce themselves or tell us where they live. They just throw a stupid question up here like we are supposed to automatically know what they mean and exactly what machine they have and then expect us to jump at their beck and call and give an intelligent answer to it. God forbid that we would ask them if they have a Tech Manual! I agree that this is a forum for people to find answers from other enthusiasts, both professional and novices alike. Some things can be answered quickly with a simple answer with a simple fix. However most of the questions are on complex systems that you just can't answer with a few simple words for a quick and simple fix. The best source for that information is a Tech manual for the particular machine you have. People will come on here and say I have a 450 with this problem... Okay... what 450 do you have? Is it a Straight, B,C,D,E,J,H or K.
Tigerhaze said it best when he said there is a ton of information already archived on this site. But it takes a little time and effort to look things up. Some of this stuff has been answered at least a hundred times. If you have trouble looking things up then ask for help to find it! Everyone wants a quick answer and an easy fix! They want us to magically fix there old wore out piece of junk that they paid way more than it is worth right here, right now over the internet! I mean why not!? There should be an "Ap" for that!! What really gets to me is they don't want to spend any money either! They want a can of cheap "Fixit" to pour over the machine to cure all the ills that 10,000 hours on a forty year old machine has developed! Then, when they do get an intelligent answer that might get into their pocket book, they want to disagree with what they have been told. Then, they have the arrogance and audacity to take shots at the professional that has given them that answer! The reason I quit is because I got tired of being told how damn stupid I am after working on this equipment for forty years. I don't know it all and never will! But what I know, I know! I have the bent fingers and scard knuckles to prove it.
There is no "Clique" on this forum! There is no club of special people that are the only ones to get answers! I tried to be nice and answer everyone that had a question. No matter how naive or stupid it may have been. I hated to come on here and see a zero in the response column. Sometimes, like Digitup said, I didn't know the answer, so rather than adding to the ignorance with something that had no substance to it, I would stay out of it.
Guys like Digitup are busy! They're trying to hack out a living in this world and as he said they don't have the time to get on here and answer a bunch of stupid questions. Some that do answer have no practical experience so they just put a bunch or words up with shade tree guesses just so their names will appear on the thread. What help is that!? Nothing has been answered but the thread gets longer and longer. All that does is take up space in the archives on Lavoys website. The reason things are going unanswered is there is no one still around to care. After a few ass chewings via a couple of threads and PMs, I quit! You're on your own!
Maybe,... Mr. Rock Digger, you have done all of these things and you still haven't found your answers. I'm truly sorry you haven't. But at this point I really don't care. Get a book! That's how I learned it! I read it, then applied it and skint my knuckles until I got it right. I didn't have the internet or a forum of professionals to help me. I didn't have anyone but myself, a tech manual and a few old guys to help me that are dead and gone now.
I drop by the forum from time to time just to see how far it has fallen off. It is sad to see how a once vibrant forum has basically died in its own tracks. A good friend of mine said it is like reading what a bunch of chirping crickets are saying. So go ahead and accuse us of taking our marbles and going home. I haven't taken my posts off yet, I haven't decided. However after the arrogance I've seen I'm not sure I want to have any part in it. Certainly not from here on. Some will say good riddance and that's okay too. But guys like me and others that have left are getting old. Someday soon there won't be any of us left. Then who will give the answers to the tough questions? You better hunt up a tech manual! If you can't read then find someone who can and have them read it to you.
Lavoy I'm sorry if I stepped out of line here and added more heat to the fire. But I couldn't let this go. I had to say this before I left for good. Thank you >>> Leonard L.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:08 am

Leonard sorry to see you go. I'm one of those nail benders that can't fix, but with you're help was able to reserect a 1966 350 straight & will always be indebted to you Thanks again

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:28 am

Leonard,
I hate to see you go as well, and hope you are wrong about the state of the board, I hate to see it die. I have a lot of time and money invested in it, and answer what I can, but I am somewhat limited on the late model stuff, that is where you and the other late model guys come in.
I have strived to keep out a lot of what I have seen kill other boards, I don't know, maybe I failed.
I will however throw in one comment as far as manuals. If I had a nickel for every time I was told "Well I can't afford the manuals for my crawler" I would have shut this board down and retired years ago. If you can't afford the manuals, you can't afford the crawler, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thus ends my rant.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:42 am

I agree with Lavoy there is so much knowledge with guys like Leonard i would hate to see him go also ..Yes some people on here have been a pain in the ass with questions they could have searched for or could found very easy in a service manual... BUT there are times that with his experience he has answered questions with short cuts that are not in the books...I know a lot about 2010s (own 3) but not much about later mods....he has helped so many and could help many more ...like every thing in life there are bad apples i would hate to see his knowledge go to waste because of a few ... I just lost my dad a few months ago and the knowledge that is gone you would not believe..So Leonard i hope for the guys here that really need your help and appreciate it you will stick around ...and if you are like me i enjoy helping guys with the knowledge that i have ` :D :D
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Leonard,
I’m glad to see you haven’t left entirely.
Dealing with people can be aggravating sometimes. I’m reminded of a quote “You can’t fix stupid” from Ron (tater salad) White. While most people don’t fall in that category some just do. I have a friend that is in the armed service that could not change a spark plug even if you handed him the tools and showed him the plug. If you give him a computer and he can save the world. One of the smartest men I know….with computers. I help him with his vehicles and he helps with my computer.
Each of us has our own place, experience; niche in this world and one of your niches is the intricacies of Deere crawlers. It would be a shame if you decided not to share your knowledge with the rest of us, stupid or not.
One other thing before I go, there is a saying that one of my coworkers gave me when I was upset about some stupid thing that happened “Treat everything as a dog would. If you can’t eat it or play with it just pi$$ on it and walk away”. If you do this on a per post basis and not the whole forum we can still have the benefit of your company.
Joe

kedorland
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by kedorland » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:06 am

I mine this site to help simplify, and shorten, problems, maintence, and hopefully expand my knowledge of the best machine we've ever bought (two 450Cs) .

No other way to put it than......I would be adrift if "JD Crawlers" went away.

Am deeply indebted to Lavoy and the much experienced.

Kevin from Iowa.
1975 450C. 1977 450CA loader, with winch and log arch. Is true..tracked equipment is addicting.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:50 am

Please don"t delete your posts if you decide to leave. I am just one of over 3000 members and I think most of us rely on the information in this forum to keep our equipment running and in many ways you add a lot to keeping the crawler culture alive. I am grateful to everyone who has/is helping me enjoy my equipment. I now have 10 Deere crawlers and in reality don't need any of them. Many of them I have rescued from certain death from abandonment and at present 9 of them are running thanks to my manuals, and more importantly the knowledge and pleasure I get from this messageboard. I try to make posts to Show and Tell and off topic discussions to contribute a bit to make the message board more enjoyable if I can as, it is obvious I am not deep in knowledge on this stuff, just deep in my love of the hobby. I am a proud owner of my Deere's. Hope you all find a way to stay on and share.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:03 am

What a shame that one negative comment wasted so many good people's time and energy.
To those who have shared their experience and knowledge so generously, I say thanks. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:08 pm

This isn't easy for me so I will be short and sweet. I need to apologize to Rock Digger for my outburst last night. It appears he is not guilty of most if not all of what I said in my response to his post. His post just happened to be the one I came unwound on. So, that being said, I'm sorry Rock Digger. I still stand by what I was pointing out to the ones who are guilty of what I said and there are a lot of you. For that I am not sorry. I want to thank you guys that have wished me well and have said kind words about me and the help I gave. >>> Leonard L.
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.