there seems to be click

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cowboy4996
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by cowboy4996 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 am

Wow...I don't check here for a few days and ..........
Seriously this is one of the best boards I check on a regular basis and I hate to see any blowups and people leaving. There is a wealth of information both posted on this board and in peoples heads. So many are so helpful and willing to share. I've learned a lot just reading all the posts. I personally see no "cliche" or anything like it.
People being people....some can rub others the wrong way. As a dealership employee, countless times people come in asking the tech's how to fix their machine. They can get upset if the answer isn't the one they "want to hear"...as in too big a job....cost too much...etc. Just goes with the job. Thats why I appreciate all the regulars on here. Free information given freely and much appreciated. I certainly hope no one will feel the need to leave......would leave a huge void...
Thanks to Lavoy for providing such a great forum and all the valuable information it provides.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:15 am

I am thinking it is our responsibility to keep the experts and all who post help, answers and encouragement on this message board interested in staying on. We, the ones in need of help have to ask ourselves what we can do to keep it current, enjoyable, and from getting overly repetitive for the long time contributors so they don't fall into the "been there done that" or some similar feeling that might cause some to burn out on this board. I say thanks to all who add photos to Show and Tell, with updates on how our equipment is getting used, improving with the help we get here or how we are all learning from each other. Thanks to all who post the results of their repairs, upgrades, and restorations. I think we can do more to keep the experts and beginners alike interested in being part of this family. Post your successes, keep thanking the guys who help, If you see something out there that we might like to see, put up a link. Many do all these things now. Some could do more. Lets get together if we can on ideas of how we might keep the long time and new contributing experts from retiring from this board.
Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Collective knowledge

Post by JWB Contracting » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:03 am

I consider myself fairly experienced on running, rebuilding, buying selling and collecting Deere crawlers. I have really enjoyed a lot of the technical wisdom that I have seen shared on this forum. I am only 36 so have lots left to learn.

I try and share some of the lessons and practical experice that I have learned from working with my dad and from fixing them myself. A lot of us need a little held from time to time when we have exhausted our own expertise.

With that said, when asking for help give the responses the respect they deserve. If you don't agree with suggestions or guidance provided be polite, your being provided with free and in most instances good advice.

I agree everyone should buy there appropriate technical manuals. I tend to have a clean one for reading in the house at coffee time or to take home to read during the week plus a dirty copy for use in the shop. This is good advice and the manuals are generally good. However at times there are alternative methods to do a repair, diagnose a problem or simply where further guidance is needed to understand the manual. This is where I think this forum shines. Nothing better than seeing someone fix up an old Deere and put it to work. So let's get back to sharing our experiences and spend more time doing what we all enjoy, every shape and form of Deere crawlers.
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by CatD8RII » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:53 am

I'm not sure how much I can add to the conversation, but as a long time member of the site who has kind of "backed off" for some of the reasons above I'd like to make a few comments.

For starters, Ken is getting allot of flak over a situation that he does not deserve it for. Looking back over the 2 topics that really drove him off I don't blame him for not posting any more, perhaps deleting everything might be a little too far for me, but then again that's his choice.
Moving forward, when anyone sees something like that happen, it is our duty to the forum to call it out and stop it. We can be our on moderators per say. Lavoy is a busy man, he can't sit here and police every post.

Many good points have been made concerning the people asking for advice. The only thing I can add to that is for people asking advice is that they really need to appreciate when someone takes the time to give a concise , professional response, that they are taking a lot of time out of their day to help a complete stranger. As said above, even if you don't agree with or like the advice, be polite! And yes, it almost goes without saying, if you want to own an old crawler, get the darn service manual!

One thing I can add is to the people giving advice. No one is ever going to agree with you all the time. So you're bound to have someone either disagree or not listen to your advice. Even if you're 100% sure about your post, in the end, let it go, it's not your machine or money that will be wasted.

I know this whole situation is concerning to everyone, but hopefully, now that these things are out in the air, we can all learn from it and move on with a stronger and better forum.

LeonardL
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by LeonardL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:39 am

Well said!
40 plus years working on JD 350s, 400Gs, 450s and other equipment both Ag and Construction.

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

This site is awesome...

Post by Al Swearengen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:08 pm

When I needed much needed advice, y'all stepped in and gave it. Though I'm still pretty green as far as tech knowledge, I read here all the time and soak up the good stuff!