350B steering clutch disc: fiber or metal?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Duke350B
MC crawler
MC crawler

350B steering clutch disc: fiber or metal?

Post by Duke350B » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:46 pm

Looking to make a steering clutch rebuild on my 350B. Looked up for parts. Did ask the JD dealer about disc parts. Told me they were made from metal? Is it the case? Anyone made that kind of job recently.

Also, looking to change the old pressure plate spring in the rebuild but no longer available. Anyone looked at it recently. Perhaps Lavoy?

Regards
Thanks,

Duke 350B

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:30 am

There are definitely applications where the metallic discs are the ticket, but on the whole, I don't like them, they are very aggressive. I find that if you run less brake than recommended it helps. The other issue is cost, they are spendy. I stock the fibers, and can get the metallic, but haven't sold a set in years, so would have to do some digging.
No pressure plate parts available, but really, for $135 for a new one, is it worth it to fight with a used one?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

MattE
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by MattE » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:32 pm

I definitely agree with Lavoy that the bronze are more aggressive, but if something happens that you get water or oil in your housings you can clean it out with the bronze disks. With the fibers you'll be tearing the finals off again.

Example I got a 350 buried in a swamp with water up to the seat. Drained and flushed the finals, cleaned out the housings with solvent and she has been running fine for several years since. I would be afraid of what would have happened with the fiber disks. I also don't install the drain plugs in the bottom of the housings to let condensation out. (good or bad) wish John deere had a one way drain like some of the case machines did.

Either way buy your parts from Lavoy, I've heard horror stories about some of the fibers they are selling on ebay

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Most of what you need to know has already been said, but this was another thread that discussed this issue in more detail (i.e. the bi-metallic discs):

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... t=metallic
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Duke350B
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thanks to all of you

Post by Duke350B » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 pm

Thanks a lot for your comments. Very helping!
Thanks,

Duke 350B