Just bought a 1970 450BA need some advice.

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Just bought a 1970 450BA need some advice.

Post by dillon45 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:03 pm

I just bought a 1970 450 BA Track Loader it has some wear on it , maybe
less than 50 % left on the undercarriage. Th sprockets are somewhat pointed
and it has seen better days, but it does have a strong engine.
Last edited by dillon45 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:26 pm

yes (B) has dry clutches KEEP them DRY cover when parked to keep water out
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 am

Dry steering clutches are not deficient or inferior in any way to wet clutches; they just have different advantages/disadvantages. The key is to use the machine often enough to keep them limber, as they tend to start sticking when left to sit. Richard's advice about keeping out of the rain is also a key consideraiton, so at least tarp it if it is not ina shed.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dillon45 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:58 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:Dry steering clutches are not deficient or inferior in any way to wet clutches; they just have different advantages/disadvantages. The key is to use the machine often enough to keep them limber, as they tend to start sticking when left to sit. Richard's advice about keeping out of the rain is also a key consideraiton, so at least tarp it if it is not ina shed.
Would like to thank both of you for your replies, they helped , I hears J.D.
had transmission problems with the 450 is this true ? As you guys can tell
I don't have a clue and need all the advice i can get on anything having to
do w/ this machine.

dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dillon45 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:Dry steering clutches are not deficient or inferior in any way to wet clutches; they just have different advantages/disadvantages. The key is to use the machine often enough to keep them limber, as they tend to start sticking when left to sit. Richard's advice about keeping out of the rain is also a key consideraiton, so at least tarp it if it is not ina shed.
I have a video of the machine from youtube "1970 John Deere 450B Loader"

Type in 1970 John Deere 450B on you tube and it shows this machine working. If you would watch this video and give me you're opinions .

dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dillon45 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:09 pm

"
Last edited by dillon45 on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Not a bad crawler but the tracks are shot. The 1200 hours on the meter is also not correct. The track rails show a lot more wear than that even if they were never changed.

If you only intend to use it for 40 to 50 hrs, it could work as is for a while but be careful with thin chains and knife point rear sprockets, eventually they will allow the track to contact the rear axle housing.

As for the transmission, I find no fault in the 450 transmissions that you speak of.

It would have been nice to have gotten a ripper with the machine.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:29 am

agree the tracks are junk ...pads are still usable ... missing center tooth on front bucket... looks like it steers good ... starts good but don't know how hot it was when he started it .....a new set of chains and sprockets and you would be set for years to come
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:35 am

Appears to be a nice operating and looking dozer..............And with the fact that you'll only do 50 to 60 hours and for $6500................I think you got a great deal.......I believe that there are several things to extend it's life and to keep it running good. Right away before using it, I'd change " ALL " the fluids and filters, and to keep from driving yourself crazy about what types of fluids and filters......use all John Deere products. That's all I use and my machine runs perfect all the time. Next.......store it under cover, preferably a barn. If you put a tarp over it, you'll think twice about using it for short play time because of the time to remove the tarp and re-cover it. I built a small barn just big enough to drive it in, 10 x 20, to keep it out of the weather. Since it's so easy to get mine out and in of the barn, I find I'm using it all the time. Also, get a battery tender and use it. This keeps the batteries up all year. Next............get to know the machine and anytime something goes wrong or doesn't feel correct............" FIX IT ". Most important........get the operators manual............parts manual......and repair manual. These can be downloaded from the JD website for a fee. This is money well spent, and sit down and read it.....even an experienced operator will be remarked at what they don't know.............And use the machine all year......I use mine all year long. I even go for joy rides after a big snow storm with 2 to 3 feet of snow....lots of fun. I'm sure others, along with myself will add things as time goes on....Thanks, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:46 am

I forgot to add...................The only way to get to know the machine is to use it frequently...........It's like a fine mature woman.....It needs to be handled frequently............listened too.............address it's needs............treated with respect............not overused............I'm getting carried away here...................Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

vestor_guy
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by vestor_guy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:32 am

"I use mine all year long. I even go for joy rides after a big snow storm with 2 to 3 feet of snow...."
"...........It's like a fine mature woman.....It needs to be handled frequently."

Frank, You're a very sick, sick man. A bad case of Deere disease with zero possibility of recovery.

dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dillon45 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:29 pm

Frankdozer wrote:I forgot to add...................The only way to get to know the machine is to use it frequently...........It's like a fine mature woman.....It needs to be handled frequently............listened too.............address it's needs............treated with respect............not overused............I'm getting carried away here...................Frank
Frank,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your post comment, you accented
the good about this machine and this brightened my day.
I mean to tell you I was feeling bad about the decision I made buying the
machine.
The other two posts were "great" they were honest and to the point, they
gave their opinions and were "right" about the wear and possible problems
that could happen with a machine with this amount of wear and tear this
one has.

For a guy like me who has limited experience with these machines it
was a difficult decision to make on the purchase. But as you said
I will familiarize myself with the machine and hope for the best, and
maybe in time be able to fix the sprockets and chains.

Thanks to all guys who took the time to help me.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:39 am

I assume you have the HLR tranmission in your 450. I have that transmission in my 2010s and I haven't had any problems with it. I think the only knock on the HLR that I am aware of is that it can get very expensive and time consuming to fix when it does finally wear out.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment