JD 350B will not move help please

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jack61_23
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350B will not move help please

Post by jack61_23 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:07 pm

I just bought a 350b for $1000. I brought it home put a battery in it and it fired right up. Went to take it for a ride and it won't move. It will grind a little going in every gear Tracks will tighten up when put in gear but will not move. Nor will it move with the reverser in either direction. The hydraulics work great in the loader. I changed trans filter and fluid still no change. Any help wold be great!! This my first loader so bear with me. Where to get parts at?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Might be low pressure in reverser, could be steering clutches slipping, but doubt it. I sell parts, what are you looking for?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

jack61_23
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jack61_23 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

Trying figure out what is wrong And what parts I all need and if it is worth fixin

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Wild guess, but make sure the clutch pedal is coming all the way up and not hanging up on any crud.
Lavoy

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:57 pm

I have to say it: The first step you, me or anyone needs to do in this situation is to get a shop manual for your particular crawler. You can get information that will help you help yourself and also help you understand infomation and help offered from this web site. They are relatively expensive, but I promise you its the best money you"ll ever spend on the machine. I think Lavoy sells them or JD web site has them for download for a fee.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

jack61_23
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jack61_23 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:17 pm

I have taken the floor board out and cleaned all the crud out from around the cluth linkage and lever and also from around the reverser linkage. I also tried taking the reverser linkage loose manually moving the lever so that rules out adjustment on the foot clutch and reverser. It kind of acts like the clutch is not releasing because you can put it in gear with ease with the clutch pedal released or depressed with the same result little short grind and it drops right in to any gear I put it in and the tracks tighten up. Is there a valve that operates the clutch assume that I can check. There are no abnormal sounds or smells coming from the machine. The fluids that I changed looked to be clean. The filter was old but I didn't see any trash, just little grease on the Bottom side of the filter. The machine doesn't look like it has been worked hard with the pins being perfectly round, tow hitch not worn out good straight bucket with no repairs. The man who owned it said he was using it and shut it down to take a call, when he got back on it would not move. Not trying to ramble on just trying to give all the info I can. All help is apperciated

BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BigV » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:30 pm

If you decide that this isn't for you, I'll buy it from you, I don't expect you to sell it for what you gave for it. If you'd be interested in a Mopar muscle car or a Harley Davidson Big Twin, I could also offer those.

I hope it turns out to be something simple.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Okay, stupid question, don't get mad, but you said you say you changed trans filter and fluid. There is no trans filter, and the trans and reverser are two different reservoirs. So, did you change the filter on the reverser? Did you refill the reverser, not just put all the extra in the trans? What fluid did you use?
Lavoy

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

350B won't move

Post by NWJD fan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 pm

I repaired a straight 350 dozer a number of years back that stripped the splined coupling between the reverser and transmission. Apparently it worked OK one evening and did not want to go the next morning. There was enough drag that it would spin the transmission shaft in neutral and grind a little bit when in gear but not move.

jack61_23
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jack61_23 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am

The filter that I changed is down on the lower right side of the transmission. It was a plate with 4 bolts. You can see it in between the right track. I filled it back up with 303. I got thick skin fellas I Ain't gonna get mad. I'm trying to learn. How do you remove the reverser to check this shAft? TrAde may be possible on this one if I can't figure it out. Keep the info coming

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:21 am

That is not the transmission, that is the reverser, transmission does not have a filter.
Lavoy

NWJD fan
440 crawler
440 crawler

350 won't move

Post by NWJD fan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am

You would do well to troubleshoot a little more before checking the coupling between the transmission and reverser as that will require removing the engine, loader, battery box, hydraulic tank fuel tank and reverser to check. I would get the appropriate manuals and go through the reverser function tests and if that checks out OK it is pretty easy to take the lid and shifter mechanism off the transmission and look down inside. If there are no obvious disasters there then it might be time to start thinking about going deep.

jack61_23
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by jack61_23 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Ok I have a Manual on order in the mean time can anyone give me a rundown on how to check the reverser. I have a feeling everyone assumes I'm not mechanically inclined. I own an 8N, Allis chalmers CA, Farmall H, New Holland LX 865, and numerous other peices. I'm sure a lot of you have many toys as we'll. I have just always learned best by listening to the old guys and learning from them.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:46 pm

First check reverser pressure. The 1/8" vertical plug on the reverser should show about 95psi in either forward or reverse. If it does, then the reverser is probably good and the coupling broke (they do that). I have removed the tranny from the back by slacking the tracks instead of breaking them. unscrewing the sprockets, and leaning the tracks out (ain't easy). The hydraulic and fuel tanks and battery box come off first. Of course, mine didn't have a loader.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BigV » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 pm

It's not that people on here don't think anyone is mechanically inclined. It's just with a crawler, there are enough nuances and steps, that it isn't as simple as throwing out a suggestion like you can do with a wheel tractor.

The steps to repair one aren't necessarily obvious unless you've done it before or reviewed the procedures in the service manual.

If the steps aren't followed, you can really unintentionally screw some stuff up, and nothing on a crawler is inexpensive, and the labor to correct what can happen is nuts.

The service manual also will tell you when to use JD gauges- and if necessary- whatever specialty tools to complete the job.

It takes so much to actually tell someone what needs to be done, that you're got three options: (1)Take 20-30 minutes to pull out a service manual, take another 15 minutes to find a potential answer, another hour to scan, resize, upload, login post, and give out the copyrighted manual pages. Didn't solve it or the actual problem is covered elsewhere in manual ? Repeat the process. or (2) You can give a general answer detailing the general procedure to accurately diagnose the problem(ie: the coupler is possibly bad and it is serious shit to replace it), note it is going to take a serious amount of labor and strongly suggest getting the service manual before proceeding or (3) you can do what a lot of people do over some of the other crawler/equipment forums: throw out a bunch bullhockey towards the wall, hope some of sticks, sort of like playing pin the tail on the donkey. Problem is, again, you can waste a lot more time and money running down BS advice and trying to fix the problems you create or run into doing it blind without the manual, than you had in the first place.

Only reason I'm telling you this is, is people come on here and they get upset because they feel their questions aren't answered, but it isn't as simple with a crawler or any other piece of a equipment. There a finite number of independent systems on any car or motorcycle, and there are thus only so many things that can go wrong: so pin the tail on the donkey will work on a motorcycle or a car or a wheel tractor- after a while. Crawlers and almost all heavy equipment after the early 60's are designed as a system with almost everything working in unison, with interdependent systems, so it isn't so simple to pinpoint a problem over the internet.

Wait for your manual and save yourself a bunch of wasted time, bunch of wasted money, and a whole lot of confusion and headaches.

Also: if you bought one of Genco or one of the Ebay "new" service manuals, send it back. They are bootlegs- they're someone's photocopies of the real thing that have been scanned and printed at demand. The photos are so dark you can't see anything. The John Deere FSM's are available in PDF, you can download immediately after you pay for it, and print what you need.

No offense intended, good luck with it, hopefully it ends up being mercifully simple.