Fuel Filter Change Procedure and electronic Manuals...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Fuel Filter Change Procedure and electronic Manuals...

Post by twistedwillys » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:03 am

Howdy All!!!

First let me say, that I do understand the importance of service manuals... (Please refrain from saying that I need to go buy one... I will in time! :-) )

But does anyone have (an electronic version PDF? DOC of a Service Manual for a JD 350 (NOT a B or a C) Crawler/Loader? (this way I can port it over to my iPhone for use in the field)) the maintenance procedure for changing the fuel filters on a John Deere 350 Diesel? I've only been able to find the manual in PDF for the 350 C's... :-/

Thanks!!!

Neil

BigV
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by BigV » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Yes, John Deere does.

SM2063 available from John Deere on their website, in PDF for $82.

http://www.johndeeretechinfo.com/index. ... uModel=350

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 am

Should be the same concept, just maybe different style filters.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:04 am

Lavoy wrote:Should be the same concept, just maybe different style filters.
Lavoy
I know some have hand pumps to prime the fuel system, but on something like a 350, has anyone had any luck pre-filling the canister type filters with fuel via the bleeder screw holes on the top and not having to crack the injectors to bleed them?

Just curious! :D

Neil

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 pm

Cracking injectors is to bleed the injectors, not the filters, assuming I am understanding you correctly.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Lavoy wrote:Cracking injectors is to bleed the injectors, not the filters, assuming I am understanding you correctly.
Lavoy
Are you saying that when I change the filters this weekend, I won't have to bleed the injectors if I bleed the filters by using the bleeder screws?

(I assume I prime the system by Cranking the engine with the bleeders open until I see fuel... but what do I do to keep the engine from starting while I'm trying to bleed the filters? Do I disconnect the fuel shut off 12 v feed while I'm bleeding the filters?)

Thanks!!!!

Neil

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:51 pm

I don't know the procedure indicated in the service manual of the 350, but on many of the JD indirect injected diesel engines you generally bleed the system in the direction of flow- i.e. usually you first bleed the filters, then bleed the injectors to completely remove the air. If you bleed the injectors first, then you may get additional trapped air from the filters again.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Tigerhaze wrote:I don't know the procedure indicated in the service manual of the 350, but on many of the JD indirect injected diesel engines you generally bleed the system in the direction of flow- i.e. usually you first bleed the filters, then bleed the injectors to completely remove the air. If you bleed the injectors first, then you may get additional trapped air from the filters again.
That makes sense to me! Seems a lot like bleeding a Cummins 24 valve when you run them out of fuel. :-/ (Not that I've done that or anything.. :D )

Thanks!

Neil

dillon45
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by dillon45 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:54 pm

twistedwillys wrote:
Tigerhaze wrote:I don't know the procedure indicated in the service manual of the 350, but on many of the JD indirect injected diesel engines you generally bleed the system in the direction of flow- i.e. usually you first bleed the filters, then bleed the injectors to completely remove the air. If you bleed the injectors first, then you may get additional trapped air from the filters again.
That makes sense to me! Seems a lot like bleeding a Cummins 24 valve when you run them out of fuel. :-/ (Not that I've done that or anything.. :D )

Thanks!

Neil
You should have two fuel filters, a primary and secondary
I change one filter at a time , on your fuel pump you should have a priming lever, once you remove the primary filter and replace w/ the new
you use the priming lever to push the fuel into the filter.
Once it is full w/ the top bleeder open you continue to work the lever until you have a nice clean flow of fuel with no air bubbles. Than repeat w/ the secondary filter, when completed make sure the lever is fully down.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:07 pm

their is a primer lever on my 350. it is part of the the fuel pump, just feel back and see if you find the lever. then open your filter bleeds and pump it a bunch of times.

next you can loosen the fuel line at the injector pump and bleed to there.
turn over and bleed injectors. once it fires I bleed each injector some while running.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:13 pm

Scottyb wrote:their is a primer lever on my 350. it is part of the the fuel pump, just feel back and see if you find the lever. then open your filter bleeds and pump it a bunch of times.

turn over and bleed injectors. once it fires I bleed each injector some while running.
Scott
Awesome! Thanks for this additional info! Mine does have this lever and it clears everything up that I was corn-fused about! Now just gotta wait for a little warmer temps.

Thanks!!!

Neil :P

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:55 am

twistedwillys wrote:
Scottyb wrote:their is a primer lever on my 350. it is part of the the fuel pump, just feel back and see if you find the lever. then open your filter bleeds and pump it a bunch of times.

Scott
Awesome! Thanks for this additional info! Mine does have this lever and it clears everything up that I was corn-fused about! Now just gotta wait for a little warmer temps.
Got outside last night as soon as I got home from work and finally got to take a look at everything really good. Found that the filters were on real loose. Since I was already dirty and had new filters, I decided to go ahead and clean things up and change the filters anyway.

In an effort to help those in the future with Changing the Filters on a JD 350 Loader I've included very brief description of the steps that I took on mine. As always, use as a reference, but do so at your own risk! :P

Step 1: Raise and SUPPORT the front boom with appropriate Cylinder blocks or safety stands of some sort.

Step 2: Disconnect the battery, close the main fuel shutoff valve under the seat at the bottom of the fuel tank and allow engine to cool.

Step 3: Place a drain pan under the filters to catch any spilled fuel.

Step 4: Slowly unscrew the bolts that secure the forward filter. Hold the filter in place with one hand by holding up on the sediment bowl (Made from Aluminum) while you remove the bolt and set it aside on a clean paper towel or surface.

Step 5: Gently remove the old filter. It slides over a small stub and is secured by a slide fit over an o-ring (verify that this o-ring stays in good condition and remains on the stub, this o-ring does NOT come with the new filters). Discard old filter.

Step 6: Remove and discard old rubber gasket(s) that are on top of and below the filter... Be sure you new filter came with 2 large rubber gaskets and 2 o-rings for the filter bolts.

Step 7: At this point, take a few moments and clean out any sediment or debris that has accumulated over time in the sediment bowl. Clean really good and set aside for now.

Step 8: Clean Filter bolt and replace the o-ring on the bolt head and set aside for now.

Step 9: Repeat steps 4 thru 8 for the rear filter. This filter has a GLASS sediment bowl so handle with care. There is also a small wire screen that is part of this assembly. Be careful with it as well... it is not connected to anything other than it fits around the filter bolt.

Step 10: Clean Glass sediment bowl and ensure that everything else has been cleaned to surgical room cleanliness standards as well.

Step 11: Verify that both upper rubber filter gaskets have been replaced with the new ones that came with the filters. Check to make sure that the gasket is seated correctly and has not twisted during assembly.

Reassembly:

Step 12: Pre-assemble the rear Filter on the Filter bolt in the order: Glass sediment bowl, wire mesh screen, lower rubber filter gasket and the filter cartridge.

Step 13: Slide filter assembly up into place and carefully tighten Filter bolt to a good snug fit. Verify that all gaskets are seated fully and you can not spin the filter... Do not tighten too much.

Step 14: Pre-assemble the forward Filter on the Filter bolt in the order: Aluminum sediment bowl, lower rubber filter gasket and the filter cartridge.

Step 15: Slide filter assembly up into place and carefully tighten Filter bolt to a good snug fit. Verify that all gaskets are seated fully and you can not spin the filter... Do not tighten too much.

Bleeding the filters:

Step 16: Loosen the upper rear most Bleed screw (closest screw to the fuel line that goes to the injection pump) a few turns until you can see a small bleed relief that is cut in the threads of the screw (basically about 2 or 3 turns, maybe more.... just not all the way).

Step 17: Ensure that the main fuel shutoff valve (that you closed during step 2) at the fuel tank is open.

Step 18: Start pumping the fuel pump by lifting the lever at the base of the fuel lift pump until you start squirting fuel out the bleed screw that you loosened in step 16. Be advised, it does take a while to do... you are filling both filters with fuel from empty...

Step 19: Once you have fuel squirting out of the bleed screw, slowly pump the lever on the lift pump and tighten the bleed screw WHILE slowly pumping fuel out the bleed screw.

Step 20: Clean up any spilled fuel and reconnect the battery.

Step 21: Have an assistant watch for issues (leaks) while you attempt to start the motor.

If done correctly, you should fire right up. It may run a little un-even at first. Run it at a medium elevated idle until it smooths out.

Again, this is the procedure that I used on my 350 and it worked great for me. Please use your best judgement and use these instructions as an unofficial guide at your own risk.

Enjoy!

Neil

GRWeldon
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by GRWeldon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 am

Thank you Neil. That will be a very helpful write-up as I get ready to bring my crawler to a known service level. I just purchased it yesterday...
1970 350B loader/crawler #117565 with model 93 backhoe.

twistedwillys
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by twistedwillys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:59 am

GRWeldon wrote:Thank you Neil. That will be a very helpful write-up as I get ready to bring my crawler to a known service level. I just purchased it yesterday...
Your welcome and Congratulations on your new purchase!!! Lavoy has a great site here with tons of good information... but the one downfall I've found is there isn't enough info on the "how to's", alot of time you just get a response of "get the proper manual..." etc... etc... Always good advice, but there are a lot of things that are easy enough to do and are not copyrighted that could be posted to help those without the manual (for whatever reason). That's why I'm going to try to document (whenever I can) everything I do to mine, so others can get a sense of what they may be in for.

As always, be careful with who's advice you do take and realize that whomever wrote that particular post may be wrong or have a slightly different setup for some reason that most... kinda buyer be ware on advice... but Most everyone I've had dealings with on this site know what they are talking about from experience... which can't be found in a manual!

Anyway, I hope you have great luck getting your new crawler up to speed!

Neil

Les
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Les » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Neil,

I'm changing the filters on my 450B and I can't seem to get fuel to the rear filter (empty bowl). I'm priming forever. You mentioned that it takes a while to do this. Do you remember about how long it took? My hand is getting tired. I do have fuel in the first filter bowl.

Thanks,
Les
Les
1971 450B Crawler Dozer