Where to look for cracks and other expensive mistakes?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Where to look for cracks and other expensive mistakes?

Post by sandman2234 » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:51 pm

Well, you guys said you didn't mind questions from newbies...
I am probably going to go look at a 450 sometime in the next 36 hours. The tracks are worn and the pins need rotating. I am wondering where I should look for cracks and other worn things. The oil and fuel filters were recently changed, so if there is a water in the oil problem, it may not show up unless it is more than a seepage.
I priced having it moved what is less than 100 miles and they want $660 to move it. Hopefully I can beat this price with some research, or is this a typical move? One thing in favor of that, is most of the freight is heading in the oposite direction, and most lowboys come out of that area empty. Just got to find the right one heading my direction.
Anyone got any idea what it will cost to rotate the pins on this machine? Even a rough idea will help. Daddy says it is something I probably shouldn't undertake in my backyard. He has forgotten more about Catapillers then I will probably ever know. He has never worked on a JD, so isn't much help on the particulars, and is 1000 miles away.
I need a loader to move a pile of dirt, and clear some property, which I am currently attempting to do with a bush hog. The dirt is 1/2 mile away and about 5 truckloads, but more will be available in November. Last time I got 65 truck loads when they built a building. This small pile is just a leftover. Dumptrucks come easy around here, but something to load them with is a different story.
How worn can the pins and pads be before they start becoming a problem? I probably don't have more than 100 hours of work total before I start looking for paying work, which should at least pay the repair bill on the JD.
Thanks for the help and advise!
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:43 pm

David check the chanel frame where bolted to the rearend for cracks also the two large bolts through frame and bellhousing for loose or replacement .Your pins and bushingswill need to be profesionaly turned .My second last PB turn cost $4800 at Deere and the last PB turn cost $2500 and took ane third the time at a Profesional track shop both turns lasted around 2800 hours I usualy just replace the under carage at this point rather than do a PB turn Realy did it up right this time though Last monday I got a new 550J [now that is the expensive way to replace the tracks] Watch your rear sprocket [Yes this is number 6 for me and a new record in number of crawlers for me]I find that you can use the old sprockets if not two badly wore out .New sprockets hit turned bushings hard at the backAnd the other side of reality is. Old sprockets tend to bind or whear tracks quickly And when in reverse pick the track .This will damage the teeth further on sprocket Deere says that at least 3/8 inch sprocket top is a good sprocket for a fresh PB turn .I would say that as long as you cant cut your self on the sprocket top you are OK . My 99/ 550H just came in with original tracks and a PB turn at 2700hrs For new ones at 5900 hrs one operator only and he is verry perticular about track tension! . this is a new record for me so the PB turn shure paid for its self But some times you wont get many hours in a turn It depends a lot on your sprocket and pin bushing conditions and the conections that they meet I guess.And as this is a loader the tracks tend to wear quicker then a dozer also Watch your loader arms for stress cracks or welded overplate steel can cover little suprises Good luck .Digitup'

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:24 pm

Thanks Digitup,
Basically what you have explained to me, and from what little I can tell, the pins should outlast the time frame needed by me to warrant the purchase of this machine. I guess-ta-mated I could do a break even if I could get 100 hours out of the machine without any major problems. After that, any use of the machine would be on borrowed time, and hopefully making money enough to pay for it's upkeep. The tracks are worn, but should hold up long enough to do what I need done.

Anyone pull one of these with a gas engine F250 or F350? Seems like a lot of weight to pull around with a poor old gas engine, but I shouldn't have far to go, or over 40mph once it reaches my house (provided I buy it) and I really don't plan on going after it. I think I would rather find someone coming this way with the right rig for the initial trip. Thanks,
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:27 pm

I got a diesel that just loves to pull them .My dads old gasers hauled them for years though keep an eye on the transmision if it is automatic as automatics tend to over heat pullin a450 .Digitup.

sandman2234
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by sandman2234 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Doesn't look like I am going to need to worry about it. The pictures of the 450's tracks and pins pretty much told the story when I showed a friend who knew tracks.
I passed on it, despite having work for it. I just don't need anything else to work on untill I get that property in better shape.
David from jax
Have gun, will travel

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:35 pm

I know what you mean I needed an other dozer for a contract that I am working on at this moment and foud lots of them with the tracks wore off of them and the owners still wanted the big bucks for these machines One had the tracks wore right off and they wanted top dollars for it I have the same thing in better shape with new under carage that I figure was worth twenty thousand more and they were asking that same price for a machine that the tracks were right off of I just went out and bought a new 550J The only way to get a job done and stay away from the repairs You cant fix and get the work done at the same time.Do it your self is bad enough but to a contractor Down time realy kills .dont buy a machine just for the sake of a small job or two find a good deal on a good crawler Than look for work. And under carage is the most expensive part of the mahine If they dont want to replace the tracks or turn those pins and bushings than subtract that and instalation from the price right off the start. Digitup.