dry clutch 450 loader

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
lti
420 crawler
420 crawler

dry clutch 450 loader

Post by lti » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

New clutches about half year ago along with brakes. One side is stuck any way to soak with penetrating oil. guy doing some track work on it says have to take apart. Did the penetrating oil trick on a JD 4010 tractor once that had sat for winter sealed the clutch housing filled with about a gallon and let set for sevral days loosened right up. thanks

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:36 pm

I have a straight 450 with the same problem. I haven't tried anything yet as the undercarriage is completely shot so it is a parts machine but....I am thinking of trying just pure water just to see what happens. I have seen some very wet clutches that still work fine after drying them out so I figure why not try it just to see. I have heard of using diesel as a soak but get advice from someone who has tried it before you do. If it does not work it might ruin your useable clutch parts. Penetrating oil sounds to me like a way to ruin the discs for sure.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:51 pm

do NOT use oil or any thing that resembles oil best way is to pull it apart and bead/sand blast the fibers and steels drum and cover put it back together and keep it dry and don't let it set for a long time without working it a few hours every few mouths.... you could try blocking the lever back with the brake backed off and work in some and see if she breaks lose worth a try ....only need one side working to run it... just have to backup to turn the other way ..(been there done that lol)
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:34 pm

ITi
That problem happens quite often with the dry clutches if they are not used. If you can get it against an immovable object just pull back on the lever and let dig. Sometimes that will break the clutches loose from the plates. Take tjrichard’s advice and don’t use any kind of oil on the clutches. Oil is bad for the dry type clutches.
My 450 did the same thing this spring and I was able to get them to break loose using this method.
Joe