JD 350C crawler dozer... or not?

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
cornerexit
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 350C crawler dozer... or not?

Post by cornerexit » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm looking at a 350C crawler dozer with 6 way power blade, winch on back, 1975 manufacture (I think).

I called the JD dealer with my serial number to see if the recall work had been completed on this unit and he confirmed that it had. However, he mentioned that his system showed this unit, "had a bucket on it". What does that mean exactly? Is it possible this machine started out life as a crawler loader and was re-fitted as a dozer? I have not seen a 350C crawler loader in person but the photo's I've seen of them look like it is a different base machine?

This machine looks to me to be all original. Everything looks stock and unaltered, serial number plate is fine etc. I don't see any evidence of any type of retrofitting etc. This machine does have two large "ears" on the top of the blade which I understand is for some type of rake or something?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:15 pm

It could be done, but would involve a lot of work. More likely just a misstamped tag.
Lavoy

fishhawk
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by fishhawk » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:36 pm

lavoy could it have been a drott 4way bucket that has only the blade part left? fishhawk

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:18 pm

You have got a loader build or a tractor build [ crawler dozers are in tractor build] tnothing else in between the change over would be a night mare of a job and some trick welding would be needed A clam bucket was optional in house from deere on the loader And as Lavoy mentioned some one may have played with the serial plate .Digitup.

cornerexit
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by cornerexit » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:56 pm

Ok, that's kind of what I figured. Wish I could determine the real serial number so I can figure out if the recall work had been done on this unit or not.

The serial # is 231278T and the dealer tells me that unit was 350C with a bucket. At first I thought the number 1 in the serial number looked more like a number 7, but it really didn't match the other number 7 in the serial number. There is also a "Type 500J" above the serial number on the plate.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:44 pm

There should some more to the serial number in front of the number It is a 1975 build machine built mid year with the 3-164 engine I think ! earlyer machines that year had the old 3-152 engine with the same horse power though 42 Looks like they used up the old motor going into the 350C build mater of fact 9 were built with the old 3-152 than into the 3-164 [SOME WHERE THERE ARE SOME ODD 350Cs] bet you Deere parted those out !.Digitup.

CatD8RII
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Serial Number

Post by CatD8RII » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 am

The serial number you list is incomplete. The first digits indicate if its a loader or not it should read like JD350CB2xxxxT. The letter B indicates that its a loader. Also I thought that 75 machines had a 3152 still. I have a machine with a later serial than that and it has a 3152 in it. Any kind of loader machine would have a loader frame (or evidence of where it mounted) They use a 2 pins on the equalizer bar and 4 bolts at the back on the cross bar

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:12 pm

If your dealer dosen't know the difference between loader and tractor units by his book. He wont know up grades by his book either.The power shift up grades are marked by a sticker on 350-450B&C series units Sticker is instaled on the kick plate infront of seat 2inch by3inch black and white and a nuteral notch on the power shift on 450Bsand450Cs between low and reverse is part of the upgrade kit .A leter is stamped on the sn plate before JD .The instalation date should be there as well I would say you need to look this up your self and if it is not there consider it not done. I find you dont live by what your dealer has on the computer about your machine My last 550G had 5200 hours on the hour meter they normaly watch that but the first meter had 4400 hours before it was changed I havent had the hart to tell them either.P.S Its for sale at Ontrac with 5250 hours though (dont go near it) .Digitup.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:40 am

On the subject of dealers and serial numbers, I have to agree with Digitup. I got a call from a gentleman that was kind of distraught because he had a crawler that his dealer was feeding him some huge line about how it was not a 350. They told him some wild story about the crawler being a 1010, or experimental, or god knows what. Long story short, he gave me the serial number and in 5 minutes I identified options,fuel type, trans type, etc and asked him if I was right, and I was.
Everything the dealer says is not gospel, trust me, I worked for a dealer for years. The other thing is there are a lot of people too lazy or ignorant to bother to help people, or do their job correctly.
Lavoy