450b track pin removal

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
dannie
MC crawler
MC crawler

450b track pin removal

Post by dannie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 pm

I posted this on the wrong board, so if you see it both places, this is why.

I recently purchased a 1968 450b (i think) dozer, and the track idler spring is broken, and needs replacement. I found a replacement, but according to the manuel, it says I need a "60 ton track pin removal press".
does anyone know where I can beg/borrow/steal/rent/buy one from, other than a shop. because i'm used to doing things myself, because I then know they are done right. and there is no greater satisfaction than getting dirt under your nails.
I would appreciate any help.
this is my first post, and arent quite sure I am doing this right.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Read this thread; Lavoy (the site administrator) and others may have additional advice:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ng+removal
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:02 pm

I think what they are talking about is splitting the track to get the spring out. Not sure if there is enough room to hold the front idler forward and sneak the spring out .
La voy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dannie
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by dannie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:44 pm

read the thread from "77 Ford" made a lot of sense about taking the track off of the idler pulley as if it had been thrown, installing the spring, and then re- installing the track. Not sure if that's the way I want to go, but will keep looking for the "master link removal tool/press" and if all else fails.. then I will use his method, thanks for the ideas.
just trying to avoid bringing it into a shop, I have already seen some of the "crude" work that has been done to this fine piece of equipment (all in the eye of the beholder) much was "supposedly" done by a shop, and I KNOW I can do better work.
any more ideas would be greatly appriciated

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:31 pm

I'm still confused whether we are talking about removing the spring or splitting the track to do so, but if talking about removing the master pin to split the track you can remove the master pin for the track without one of those tools- just a little blood, sweat and tears using a sledgehammer and optional heat, lubrication, or a helper:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =pin+press

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =pin+press
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:17 pm

Unless you have a lot of spare money laying around, you will not "find" a master pin press. They are a very specialized tool with only about one use, so you seldom see one for sale. Your local dealer will have one, highly unlikely he will let you borrow it.
As Tiger said, no real need for one, can be done the hard way.
Lavoy

dannie
MC crawler
MC crawler

ideas...

Post by dannie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I appreciate ALL of the help from everyone with ideas.
I'm sorry for the confusion, but I was under the impression (according to the manual) that the track had to taken apart to replace the idler pulley spring. and the only way to do it, was I HAD to have that "specialty" tool, to take the track apart. So much for the manual.
Tiger: I appreciate the time and research to help me and man did you ever help me. I LOVE the thread/pics from W.Watson where he had made a tool to "drive" the pin out. its 10:00 PM and after reading his thread I am ready to go and start making a "Wattson tool"(that's going to be its name). It will be a good investment, and if ever (and as old as this girl is, I'm sure I will) then I will have it.
Again thanks for ALL the help. Will share pic's when it (Wattson) gets finished, and will give report on progress.
Again thanks. :D

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:39 am

Another alternative, the one I use the most is burn the center of the pins out with a torch, let them cool, and they knock right out. Then buy a new pin to put back in.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:11 am

Hi,

Yeah. What he said! Saves a lot of time! Hopefully, yours are not welded in. Sometimes people do that.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: ideas...

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:51 pm

dannie wrote: I was under the impression (according to the manual)
Believe us, we are very happy that you read the manual before asking questions. It's a good habit to be in, as we can help a lot more when people take the time to do that first.

dannie
MC crawler
MC crawler

thanks

Post by dannie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:32 pm

Again, thanks for all the help, because I was at a place of not knowing and not being able to find answers. That's when I believe the good Lord heard my prayers, and sent me here. (thank you Lord)
Its good to know there are still good, caring people in this world. (I live not far from New Orleans, and all you get to hear about is the bad)
Not sure I can give any help/assistance to anyone on here, but if I can, Trust me I will.
Ok, now I am "babbling"
Thanks again all :)

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:09 am

I don't know if any of the threads or posts that you have read give info on track master pin location for removal. I've found the best way for me is to locate the mpin just starting up towards the sprocket. The first pad off the floor as you're driving foward.I jack this side of the machine up and run the track to this position.(Keeps the machine located in the shop where I want it.) After driving the pin out, I then roll the chain up off the sprocket and pull it foward and lay it over the blade or bucket. Watch out for your fingers getting between the pads. They have no mercy. You may have to use a come-along or something to handle the chain. Once you've gotten the chain layed over the blade, and weight of the machine jacked up off that side of it, the front idler should slide foward allowing the spring to be removed. When going back together, you'll find installing the master pin quite easy after pulling the chain back into place over the sprocket. This proceedure works the best for me but, others may have their own ideas. Good luck! :) gregjo1948
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Another hint. Back up the other end of the pin, or rather the link junction that it is in, with a 2 or 2.5" pipe about 8 feet long. Using a helper to put the pipe back in place after every hit saves time.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Jason Z in MO
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Jason Z in MO » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 pm

For what it's worth I helped a friend remove the spring on his 350B. We dumped the grease from the adjuster. Removed the plug and 4 bolts mounting the adjuster to the idler assembly. Using a bar we compressed the adjuster assembly pressing out the grease. Now the track is sagging so using a chain around the track and through the idler back to the loader bucket. Using the tractor hydraulics we curled the bucket to pull all the slack out of the track.

The spring was almost out but we needed about a 1/2 inch. By rotating the adjuster mounting pad by 90 degrees it gave us the clearance needed. I hope I remember it all correctly, it was about a year ago... Bottomline, we never touched a track pin and the spring was replaced. I hope it will work on your 450!
1010D D 6-way hydro blade w/ 3point, 1010D C/L, 350c C/L, JD B, JD 50, JD 520, JD 720LP, JD 4020, JD 4230

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:22 am

If you need it, this thread has some photos that show some of what Greg and Jason have mentioned:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=1607