drive sprocket build up

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

drive sprocket build up

Post by scremineagle » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:11 am

Just wonderingf if anyone out there has built up there drive sprockets with weld. Got 1966 350 straight & was told this was possible. 2 questions- Is this possible? And how far point should be out from inside round. Guessing around one & a half inches. Thanks Heard new ones are available so maybe thats the way to go.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:51 am

My opinion on that is if you build them up, they should be machined to match original pitch and bushing shape, which would be cost prohibitive. It seems to me like when you see this done, the owner is going to run the rails to destruction and knows it, so potential bushing wear or damage is irrelevant.
New sprockets vary in price, but in the $200 or less range each. You can't spend much time with a welder for that money.
The other question I would have is if your sprockets are worn due to track wear, your track will ruin the new sprockets in relatively short order.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:00 am

Thanks for advice. Found after market sprockets for 240 each. only use crawler in woods to put up yearly wood around 8 cord. Doesn't look like much has ever been done to track. when I purchased machine rollers on one side were flat cause previos owner just kept using crawler with them locked up. Replaced that sides rollers. Believe this is why that sprocket got so worn down. will try post a pic of my pins & bushings to get advice on what i should do. Thanks Lavoy I am in norrthern MN. Believe your in N.D. may need to find out where & pay you a visit

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Last sprockets I sold were cheaper than that, but freight might eat up the difference.
I am just outside of Fargo, so not that far.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com