JD555G TC

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
1466IH
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD555G TC

Post by 1466IH » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 pm

I was just curious if what the TC designation stands for i have an idea that it may be torque converter but i am not sure

scampr
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by scampr » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:19 pm

Not a expert but i thought it meant Torque Converter... but i may be wrong??
scampr 440icd, 350B, 47 Farmall H, 55 Farmall cub and ashamed to have a Kabota too

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:50 am

Yes TC is for torque converter and it comes in handy on a crawler loader when the machine is digging into a hard pile or bank of dirt the theory is a torque converter will multiply the torque some 3 times that of a direct drive crawler so yes they are use full as well with a dozer application it is use full filling the blade as you can work the converter and get more dirt faster .I know there are skeptics out there that will tell different like a direct drive is more fuel efficient but over all easier on equipment and the ability to find or regain traction a torque converter cant be beat .The new hydrostatic dozers can also multiply torque but not to the extent of a torque converted dozer Deere took the direct drive and had Twin Disc build them a converter for the G series dozers and crawler loaders It is the same converter unit as in the 444D loader so very little R and D was needed as the part was already in a Deere unit at the Debque manufacturing plant 70 feet away at the time..Digitup.

plowboy
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by plowboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 am

I have many hours on TC 550G LGP through my work over the years. Wonderfull dozer for finish grading! we have since upgraded to a CAT D5K LGP. We have a 455g loader TC on our family farm paired up with
A 450G with direct drive. As far as just pushing dirt or clearing fences either one are great and work well. One really nice thing about the TC is as you run the de-accelerator you have a little better finesse in tight spaces. When puhing stumps or hard To move objects you can actually stall out or kill the engine on a direct drive dozer where the TC won't do that. IMO much easier to operate a TC machine over direct drive.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:02 am

Not a Deere, but we had a large Terex (Euclid) dozer for many years that was a torque converter machine. It would have been totally useless as a direct drive. Like has been mentioned, a TC drive machine with a decelerator is a dream to run.
Direct drive machine is more efficient as a drawbar machine, but not much of that done any more.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com