Drain plug on 450 clutch bellhousing

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Drain plug on 450 clutch bellhousing

Post by Mike B » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:16 pm

Is there a drain plug on the engine drive clutch bell housing? If so does anyone know what size tool it takes to remove it.
Thanks

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:37 pm

I ran the loader for a while yesterday and ran into a problem. It has been raining heavily for a couple of days. Once when starting the loader, my wife noticed that a bunch of rusty water squirted out of one of the holes in the starter body. Kept working for a while and then noticed milky water and oil squirting out of starter when starting. As I was finishing what I was doing started noticing milky white oil and water trails wherever I went.
My guess is weep hole was plugged and housing had a bunch of water in it. When I started running machine I have a oil leak in trans pump which filled it up even more and finally cleared weep hole out so it started draining slowly.
Is the weep hole the only drain or is there a drain plug also that I can pull out? I don't see any reference to either the weep hole or drain plug in manuals.

oljoe
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by oljoe » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I know this is kinda old but there is a weep hole in the clutch housing that should have a cotter pin in it. The cotter pin dosn't do anything but keep the hole open. If it plugs again just twist the cotter pin around and it will clear the hole.
Joe

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:47 pm

When I went back to work on tractor I crawled under and worked the cotter pin around and got it to come unplugged. It then drained for the next couple of hours and a couple of gallons of oily water drained out. Another thing to do every once and awhile to keep it from happening again.