Hello and I have an engine issue JD450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:51 am

The tracks have several loose pads, I am assuming that there are special bolts to get from JD or aftermarket to replace the stripped ones?
Pad bolts are often "high" headed, with fine threads and special hardness. They work well, as expected, but are costly. If you plan on keeping your tracks and getting them rebuilt, get good pad bolts. If you plan on junking this set then double nutted grade 8 bolts with red thread locker will work too. Just a thought. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:01 pm

heres a manual you might be interested in http://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-JD45 ... 2ecf801359
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:37 am

Thanks for the link to the manual- I have been cruising Ebay for one but must have missed that one.

I ran her quite a bit yesterday- found out a few more things.

-engine temp gauge needs to be replaced
-transmission temp gauge or sender (I am assuming it is electric) needs replacement, or I just wasn't getting it hot enough, but I doubt that, I was using the heck out of it.
-Will barely turn to the right going forward, however when going in reverse it turns much better using the right tracks. I'm not familiar with tracked machines (yet!) so I don't know what that means, if anything.

Other than that it runs great and the loader works smooth.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 am

ferroequinologist wrote: -Will barely turn to the right going forward, however when going in reverse it turns much better using the right tracks. I'm not familiar with tracked machines (yet!) so I don't know what that means, if anything.
Turning better in reverse can be a result of brake bands that may not be properly adjusted, worn, or have contamination such as oil on them. You can inspect and adjust the brake bands through the inspection plate on top of each steering clutch housing. You need to follow the instructions in the manual in the order they are presented or you can cause additional problems. If they are oil contaminated, replacement of the brake bands and clutch discs and the seal causing the oil leak is usually needed although some have tried to "bake out" the contamination from the discs and bands once they are removed.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:20 am

Hi,

I am also thinking brake bands. As was already said, follow the factory instructions closely.

Always keep in mind that the clutch discs must release *before* the brake engages. If not, the clutch eats the brake band while the brake band eats the clutch fiber discs......

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:57 pm

hard turn to right is 1 adjustment or 2 oil or 3 your left clutch .....try a hard right and look at the left track and make it is pulling hard
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:36 pm

It has been awhile since I posted last but things are going well.

I replaced all the rubber T lines on the injection return lines.
The alternator was not working, just had it tested an hour ago, it works fine, so I need a regulator (in fact I logged in so I could get the correct serial number out of this thread so I can call JD and get a regulator)

I also put an aftermarket temp gauge on her. I still plan to repair the trans temp gauge but it runs for hours and hours without seeming to get hot and no slipping.

I have been using it a lot lately. Several hours at a time doing hard work. Oil is still getting coolant in the oil, not too bad but it is still going to need attention. I am assuming that it is the O-rings in the bottoms of the cylinder liners. I might try to soak them with diesel fuel and see if that will stop them. I know that if I rebuild the engine that will do it for sure, but now that I have a running loader I am deep in projects that require said loader to be operational. :lol:

Now, I adjusted the right clutch pack bolt according to the manual. It had almost 5/8in play in it, it wasn't disengaging the clutch pack at all. After adjusting it I adjusted the brake band. She will now pivot in place to the left or to the right. Works great! Has made using it to do real work a pleasure now. Before if I wanted to go right I would back up and us the left track to swing right.

So still some things to do but I couldn't be happier. So far I have about $2000 in her. So nothing to complain about!

gtb
40C crawler
40C crawler

Re: Hello and I have an engine issue JD450

Post by gtb » Thu May 03, 2018 5:19 pm

Chemiweld Radiator Stop Leak very good product to try.