Hello and I have an engine issue JD450

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Hello and I have an engine issue JD450

Post by ferroequinologist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:35 am

Hello everyone. I've been lurking over the site for a few days trying to find info on a JD450 crawler loader I just bought. I have been able to figure out it is a 'gray market' 450. I don't know the year though. It has a serial of E7450 003884T. Owner said he hasn't had it running he bought it but then health issues caused him to leave it be. It has moisture in the oil. Not sure if it is a liner or head gasket at this point. There is no oil in the coolant. It will crank just fine and fires on ether, but I don't like to use it so that's as far as I have gotten.

The bucket is worn out pretty bad. The track pads look good, the rear sprokets are starting to have points though.

The throttle cable is off of the injection pump. I was a diesel mechanic in the Navy but this pump has me confused. I will get a better picture but it has a rod coming out from the bottom, with a lever attached, then at the top it appears to be where the cable attaches. But I see no actuation on the pump except that lever moving back and forth on the rod, I can't figure out for the life of me how that is supposed to control the IP, unless there is some kind of cam and pushrod inside the lower rod.

So I need to trouble shoot the engine some more, and would really like to learn more about it. The engine plate says M53TE 081613T.

I only paid $1500 so I think I got a pretty good deal, even if the engine needs rebuild. What do you guys think?

I will add pictures If I can figure out how to add them.[/img]
Last edited by ferroequinologist on Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:06 am

Let me test the pic

crawler1 by Steamman5320, on Flickr[/url]

crawler2 by Steamman5320, on Flickr

crawler3 by Steamman5320, on Flickr

crawler4 by Steamman5320, on Flickr

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:23 am

No thoughts or comments?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:28 am

Why do you think it is grey market?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 am

I thought I had read about it on this forum but I found it here- http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-b ... rs&th=4116

I don't know how true it is. I have yet to call JD and ask but I know that the serial number I have won't work on the online parts section of their site.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Is it possible that you actually saw the serial number plate for the loader attachment rather than the crawler? Where was the serial number plate located (not the engine ID plate)? I can't see photos you posted because my company's internet portal blocks them. :(
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

77 Ford
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by 77 Ford » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:26 pm

Welcome to the boards, I don't think the term gray market is being used correctly. I think what you have is a true JD that was either made for export or was made overseas and then returned.

Here is a pretty good thread on it as well.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... light=450a

On to the questions I think you got a real bargain at the price no question about that at all.

Can you find a tag or serial number on the pump at all?
JD- 450C track loader
Serial #208336T

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:28 pm

The number was on a tag to the right of the gauge panel. I will take some pics when I go by the new property today. Looking at the pics I see what you mean about that might be the loader ID plate. If that isnt the right plate, where might it be located?

I will get pictures and numbers off the pump as well.

Thanks for the replies.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:08 pm

I believe that the serial number plate for the crawler is usually on the seat pedestal just below and between your legs. I do believe based on your description of the plate you found that it is for the loader and not the crawler, and they are different. The thread 77Fod found is a good one and there are also a couple of others in the forum archives on the same issue of "grey market" JD crawlers.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:26 pm

20140226_182153 by Steamman5320, on Flickr

20140226_182451 by Steamman5320, on Flickrk

I found the correct plate. T5E3M 057842T. Which makes it a 1966 straight JD450. Which means dry clutches.

I took some pictures of the sprockets and the injection pump.

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:26 am

That's a good looking track loader for a 1966............. with the exception of the seat area. For what you paid for it, you could easily part it out and at minimum quadruple your investment then use the profit and initial investment to purchase a newer one. I have a 1984 John Deere 455D Bucket Loader that I bot for $5000.00. I sunk another $4000.00 into it and I keep it indoors. Runs great, starts without ether spray in 0 degree weather and I go for joy rides especially when there is 3' of snow. Now would also be the time to sell parts as winter is coming to an end. The only sorrow is to loose an oldie. There are plenty of 1980s out there which can be purchased for a song. Good Luck, Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:37 am

I plan to get it off the trailer today and maybe steam clean it up, and reattach the throttle cable. Then I will change the engine oil and see if I can get it to run.

I collect old military trucks too and I know it is a sad day when they are good for nothing but parts. I bought the loader because it was really cheap. I just got 10 acres of land that is wild and my wife and I plan to build a farm out there. I figure I can fix this one up enough to make my life easier prepping the property, then flip it. I don't see a long term need for me to have one, but then again after using it for awhile, I might decide I have to build a place to keep it. :wink: I sometimes get attached to old machines. Funny how that is huh?

Frankdozer
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Frankdozer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:27 am

Just so you are aware...........Fixing something old like that, as you know......is like jumping off a cliff.......you can't turn back. Rebuild the engine is big bucks then hopefully the trany is good, if not........more big bucks......etc...........etc...etc. Then you part it out re recover PART of your costs. The $4000.00 I spent on mine after the initial $5000.00 to buy it was spent on things I couldn't imagine it would need. I used all John Deere parts, filters and fluids. Lots from Ebay and some from various dealers. Springs, cracked cover plates, gauges, cables, bushings, the list goes on and on. I kept a diary of all the parts and the dates I did such. And that $4000.00 didn't include any engine rebuild nor any trany work. Believe me.....it adds up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. But at $9000.00 I have a great running track loader that I'd put up against any new one ( Maybe ). Frank
1984 John Deere 455D Crawler with 4 in 1 bucket

ferroequinologist
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by ferroequinologist » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 am

Yes I know all too well. Some of my oddball Army trucks can be like that too. Many parts were one offs and no one has any or makes them anymore.

I wll see if I can get it to run and operate, and go from there.

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:02 pm

Sounds like you have the skills to get it running by spending a reasonable amount of time and parts $ on this adventure. If so, you can assess what to do better at that point. It sure would be handy for what you have in mind.

If you do get it to run, and it appear that you'll have to go deeper into it than you'd like, I'd guess that you could make back your expenses quite easily, and possibly a profit.

From your few pictures, it looks like the machine was used, but not abused - I didn't see any welds or significant bends; the dash looks intact and the seat has mostly cosmetic damage, so someone (just like you) with maybe more time and/or money would see value in it.

The undercarriage is worn out and will need replacing - an expensive undertaking; someone else has probably done one recently and can offer a price estimate.

When you say the bucket is worn out, are you talking about the pins and bushings, or the bucket itself, cylinders, teeth or cutting edge?

Being a dry clutch machine with tracks that worn, the steering clutches and brake bands may be near the end of their life too; another probable expense that you'll be better able to assess with the machine driving around.

Good luck - I'd have jumped on getting this machine at that price too. You can probably get your money back at scrap value but no one here would like to see that happen. Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch