Advice on 450C purchase

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Advice on 450C purchase

Post by Jgnobles » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm

I have found a 450C JD dozer. Runs good trans works good. Dozer looks pretty good. Had my mechanic check it out, he said the tracks were wore (around approx. 30% left). I have a farm, and I am going to use it to spread a little dirt, and maybe push a few paths. (not going to make a living with it). The guy wants $4000.00 for it. What do you guys think? I know its hard to say without seeing it, but this would be my first dozer, and I was wondering was this model problem prone, or anything like that.
Thanks!!!

Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jgnobles » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Oh, and it has a JD winch on the back that works too.

bent
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by bent » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:48 pm

Not much downside @ $4,000 if it runs/drives/steers.

30% undercarraige will last you for the rest of your life and your kids will get use out of it. Plus you can always update as time goes by.

Post pics. 450C is a nice rig.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:08 pm

First I'll ask, are you sure it is a 450C? Oftentimes people will put stickers for a 450C on an earlier model to get more money or because they don't know any better. Also the serial number tag will often have a "C" in it which stands for crawler, but people will think that means it is a "C" model. I would suggest that you post up the serial number so we can confirm for you. There are some major differences between a "C" and earlier 450 models but the easiest way to tell is the serial number.

It's really hard to give advice solely on a verbal description from someone that is not familiar with them, but from my experience a 450C would typically go for a little more money than you are paying which would indicate some issues. The big issue/big money items are engine, transmission, and undercarriage.

The undercarriage can really be costly to repair so it really comes down to how bad it really is. Estimates of percent wear are very subjective and not reliable, but it sounds like it is to a point where you could see some issues such as throwing track. Once they get worn they wear even quicker- you can live with it for limited farm use but it is a pain if you spend half the time trying to put the track back on. Ask me how I know ;)

The HLR transmission on these crawlers is pretty rugged and reliable, but if they are abused or have not been maintained well they can work fine when cold but slip when hot. Checking fluid for improper level and water contamination (foamy or whitish) is a good indicator that it may have issues. A test drive should include working it until at operating temp to make sure it doesn't slip between forward and reverse.

To be honest I don't have a lot of experience with the 4219 engines so don't want to comment on specific things to look for as common failure points but a key check includes seeing if the engine oil level is overfull (from diesel or antifreeze contamination indicating leaks past seals or sleeves).

There are lots of other things to look at such as condition of the "wet" steering clutches, hoses, the blade, etc. but too much to go into in one post.

Having said that it is hard to see at that price that you can get hurt too bad if it doesn't work out. A working factory winch could be worth one to two grand, and the rest of it even at scrap value could be another grand or so and as a parts machine somewhat more than that.

There are lots of discussions about 450s that you can search on this board for additional information.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jgnobles » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replys guys!! I will get the serial # tomorrow and post it. I will also try to snap a few pics. It is a friend of mine dozer that is finished with it, he said that the engine, and trans is solid, Just the tracks are tired. That's why the cheap price. the rest of the machine seems solid, but knowing nothing about dozers I figured I would ask for a few expert opinions to see what I would be getting into. It does not have a 6 way blade BTW.
Thanks again!

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:17 am

Do you have the ability to fix it yourself when something breaks? Where are you at in NC? Parts can be expensive but it all relative. You have to weigh how much more work you can get done versus the costs of maintaining and fixing it when it does break, because it will if your using it. I've been clearing land with the help of my neighbor and his tractor. Once I bought my 450C Loader I was able to do more work with it in a couple of weekends that would have taken us months to do using his tractor. Pulling stumps, moving dirt and rock... you get the picture. You will have the support and experience from the people on the site to help when you do have an issue.

Like Tigerhaze suggested, post up some pictures, but for the money you can't get hurt to bad. I had the injector pump go out on mine after using it for about 3-4 hours. I fixed that myself for a lot less than what a rebuild would have cost. Big thing, if you do indeed buy it, get manuals on it.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jgnobles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Hi Guys
Sorry it took so long to get back, been busy at work. I got the serial number. 450CD 317211T. What can you guys tell from that? I have ran the dozer a little. Runs great, and trans works great. The only things I see is that the Blade cylinders needs to be repacked (leaks down), and the bushing in the front blade needs to be replaced. (Got play from side to side)
I will try to post pics tomorrow. Thanks again for the replys!!!

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:59 pm

2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jgnobles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:08 am

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to buy it today. It will be fun to play around with :D

Jgnobles
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jgnobles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Well guys I went over there again today. I am the owner of a 450C now....LOL For the money I figured I couldn't go wrong. I will post some pics so you can tell me what you think.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm

4 k for a C is not bad at all
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper