450 info needed

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
PEACEFULLVALLEY
MC crawler
MC crawler

450 info needed

Post by PEACEFULLVALLEY » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:15 am

This will be maybe a little long but please stick with me, just offered 3k for what I believe is a straight 450 that sits about 4 miles from home in the woods on a dirt road. It has no R.O.P.E.S. , it does have hydro line to the back, no pto just empty what I would call 3 point hitch? and drawbar, 6 way blade, looks to me like 14,000 should be the weight? Planning on using it in conjunction with my home sawmill and 100 acre woodlot. After looking all over the site it looks like the serial number should be on a plate below the front of the seat? anywhere else? It has the following issues that I'm aware of ( will post any serial number I find as soon as I get to it today)

1 Batteries were froze , new ones purchased
2 The starter solenoid cover is cracked with one terminal hanging, looking for info on what type it might be? (removing today hopefully)
3 Looks like a brand new growler track but sprockets are fairly pointed, it was left with so much dirt in the tracks that I'm unable to see the rest at this time till I can unfreeze the dirt
4 It ran last year but was used hard the year previous with little or no maint.
5 I was told that it started developing a track drive issue as follows when it heated up on track would not drive it would just free wheel, as time progressed track stopped driving all together, no snapping and popping just quit. I can not verify these symptoms as I have yet to get it started. left lever does not seem to have same tension on it that right one does when pulled back but it was uncovered and floor pan was full of ice and snow

Looking for most economical place to get manuals, can't seem to find tech manual for straight 450 on JD web site but want to verify serial number first, any and all helpful info would surely be appreciated ( would rather have paper as I'm a visual guy and also have a job with lots of down time but no computer access.)
I'm sure more questions to follow and I will add info as I get it
thank you for any help I do realize that some of this is a little premature but wanted to start here while it was dark and cold out before I head to the woods Will try to put up pictures upon return.

PEACEFULLVALLEY
MC crawler
MC crawler

update

Post by PEACEFULLVALLEY » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:02 am

looks like model # is T5F314 and ser # is 090752T any help on year and pos id for straight 450 would be appreciated, starter solenoid off and am told it is a common chevy type, heading for parts now but sol to starter housing is cracked hoping for possibly at least one start? Big question now is can steering clutches be done in field, heard both ways that track must be dropped and drive sprocket taken off or that no can be done from right under the seat? anyone know the real deal?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Hi,

The model and serial numbers make one long string. So, I am not making complete sense out of these.

T tractor
5 JD450
F dozer
3 diesel
1 this should be C or M. Collar shift or HLR.
4 this should be the first digit of the serial number

Maybe the M looks like a 1 and a 4? Is it an HLR machine?

090752 would make it a 1969 straight 450 (no letter).

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:01 pm

sounds like your left clutch is oil soaked and possibly spun the centers out of the discs you HAVE to pull the sprockets look here I walked him through his rebuild http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... highlight=
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

PEACEFULLVALLEY
MC crawler
MC crawler

update

Post by PEACEFULLVALLEY » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:36 am

Ah the joys of reading someone else's handwriting after you read him the numbers, I do have a separate space for ser # and model on my tag, but model does look like T5F3M , ser number still looks like 090752T but T could be a 1 or 7.
So It's running but wiring is FUBAR , had to run jumper to fuel sol and cross sol with screwdriver but I can do the electrics, still cleaning tracks from 2 seasons sitting of frozen rocks and mud. did get blade and tracks broke loose from ground.
My new questions are, right track drives fine, left track does not seem to move sprocket at all, although for one sec it did seem to drive at max rpm but when steering lever was touched it seemed to freeze, how can I determine for sure if it is steering clutches or final drive?
having no dozer experience I have 2 really dumb questions, what is lever on left side by battery box? it seems to disengage tranny but does not seem like a reverser or hi lo range? Next is what is difference between collar shift and HLR?
It only has one shift lever between feet and it has hi, lo, neu, rev. heading to local dealer to hopefully find manual but any ideas are appreciated , calling for nor'easter on wed so may have to take a few days off which will overjoy my wife as she's already po'd that my add with this is consuming me!

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 am

Hi,

Ok. The M means HLR and you describe one, so that fits. The T on the end means the Dubuque plant and should be there. So, you have a 1969 straight 450.

The HLR is both the transmission and reverser. High range forward, Low range forward, and Reverse.

The collar shift is a manual transmission with constant mesh gears and sliding collars to engage which gear to run in. It was a cheaper alternative, but I think they were made in far fewer numbers than the HLR in the 450 series.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:44 am

The lever on left side battery box is shifter for main transmission. 4 gears.All the way back is first, start moving shifter forward 2nd, 3rd, 4th . Use that to set main travel speed then use hi low reverse for working.

PEACEFULLVALLEY
MC crawler
MC crawler

Thank you

Post by PEACEFULLVALLEY » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:34 am

Thanks Mike even my Local JD equip shop could not tell me what that lever was, of course the machine is older than the kid I asked so ... still looking for suggestions on how to narrow if its a final drive, steering clutch or brake band problem, just got told 3-6 grand for steering clutches if I have them done and laughed at if its final drive, might be giving this machine back!

PEACEFULLVALLEY
MC crawler
MC crawler

The end!

Post by PEACEFULLVALLEY » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:31 am

after finally getting all the frozen mud and rocks out of the tracks, I was better able to asses the general shape of the machine, Idlers about gone, pins falling out of the cylinders, bolts missing out of the frame , copious amounts of hydo leaking out the bottom in the middle of the machine, and the entire center console able to be rocked back and forth, to my wife's great joy I am running away from this deal! I will find out in a little bit if the Local JD is going to stick me with the CD manuals I ordered at noon yesterday, so if any needs a set for a straight 450 contact me give ya a great deal!
Thank you to all who had helpful info, I live to fight another battle, back to the sawmill where I know the trouble I can get into, I think,