555 new owner

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
james_eversole
MC crawler
MC crawler

555 new owner

Post by james_eversole » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:57 pm

Hello guys. Newbie here, just picked up a 555 at an incredible price. Great looking machine, and from everything I have read here, several of you think it is a GREAT machine. Short story on how I came to be the proud new owner of a 555. Saw a listing on craigslist, for a case backhoe, in a basket, great price, and I always thought I was pretty handy. Long story short, this lovely lady's Daddy had passed away right in the middle of a tranny rebuild. No one in her family had ever worked on, or with heavy equipment. We met, struck the deal on the backhoe. And I had plenty of time to work on it where it set...until the property sold. Time got short I got it slid back together and buckled up enough to move.Found a guy with the trailer and skill to move it. AND, here is where the 555 comes in. It was siting there beside the Case hoe. I ask how much, way toooo much for me. But no one can get it started. Her husband, great guy, a firefighter, but not a heavy guy tried, but... They changed the starter, battery, and still no start. Just a thunk. Now I ask how much, and Yippee, I own a 555 sitting on top of a mountain that won't start. I am taking a NEW 1000cca battery up tomorrow. Along with a can of HEET, and tools enough to try and see if she is frozen. Everyone swears she ran fine when Daddy park her 9 months ago. I am ordering the service manuals PDF from online, and am sure I will get her figured out...but that time I was talking about being short? I have til the 8th of this month and it has not stopped raining here for the last 5 days.LOL So any help, any tricks,at all will be most welcome. Thanks in advance. I have read almost every post on this site related to "no starts" from 350s on up, and will go much more prepared than I could have ever thought possible. But there was not a single post with a no start 555. So I figure they always start and there has to be a compression release, a second battery, making it a 24volt, some series of start procedure no one knows about, or a....I just don't know...help an old man out? I'll have serial numbers and pics tomorrow night. Thanks again.
If the words "can't be done" occurs anywhere in your thought process, stop limiting yourself, and start over. Anything Can Be Done! The only question should be, can I get this done cost effectively.