HLR transmission pump

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

HLR transmission pump

Post by Mike B » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 pm

Was using backhoe on 450 straight for a while and ran transmission low on fluid. Transmission pump has leak. When I went to move machine noticed it did not want to move much so I shut it off and refilled trans. Does not want to move. Pulled pressure port plug to check pressures and have almost no flow.
It acts like pump lost its prime and won't build pressure or volume. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mike B
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Mike B » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:18 pm

I started checking all adjustments today since tractor is new to me. Turns out clutch adjustment was way off. No free play at all, adjusted it and got tractor moving again. As soon as I started tractor after adjustment I could here transmission pump running.
Will still pull engine to fix trans pump leak and will check clutch when I do pump and replace if needed.

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:37 am

Ya you don't want to run those power shift tranys low in oil they tend to get back at you for doing that sort of thing .Some pumps such as gear pumps have such close tolerances that they will take seals or even the main shaft out with even the slightest jolt from an air gulp taken in and can be a costly lesson in repairs .Digitup..