450 dry clutch adjust frequency…your mileage may vary:

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

450 dry clutch adjust frequency…your mileage may vary:

Post by Labparamour » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Hello all,

I realize there are many variables to this question but hadn't seen it asked before: generally, how frequently do you guys find you need to adjust the steering clutches?
I had rebuilt one side and adjusted both after bolting back together.
Spent about 6 hrs tending a burn pile and noticed both sides needed adjusting (figured rebuilt side would wear in and need it but not both).

Thanks,
Darryl

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:02 am

It all depends on the hours of use and adjustments made last time our old straight 450 was always under adjustment every week it could take some adjustment of some type and sometimes more often depending on ground conditions and job at hand as well .This is why self adjusting came into place and that had it's down side for several 450 models as well .You run those old Deere's for any length of time and there is a sweet spot to run it at keeping the steering brake and steering clutches set just right took some finesse at times Cat, Allis, Case as well all were the same at that point adjustments that hasn't been written in any operators manual That adjustment was many dozers ago for me but in those days you didn't just jump on your dozer and start pushing every morning .My dad had his favorite 9/16 wrench in the tool box at all times (some machines may differ) and many times you got at least your hands dirty before running a dozer .Digitup.

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Thu May 01, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks. This has certainly been a "project" machine so trying to get a feel for it. Certainly different than my son's TD7!