ran out of fuel in '81 450 c

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

ran out of fuel in '81 450 c

Post by north country dozer » Sat May 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi guys... I tried putting fuel in it and starting it twice with starter fluid but couldn't keep it going. Only ran briefly on the ether... what's necessary for repriming the fuel system??? I'm green as can be with mechanics of machinery but am very handy and mechanical with plumbing and heating... any info on bleeding lines out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by jsal » Sun May 11, 2014 5:20 am

need to loosen injector lines and pump lever on fuel pump also open bleed screw on fuel filter when no more bubbles at bleeder close continue pumping till you get oil at nozzles make sure switch is on try starting may have to do a couple of times.

JIM

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sun May 11, 2014 6:30 am

1st, I would go easy on the staring fluid or your going to end up having more problems that running it out of fuel. I'm guessing that this is indeed a dozer and you don't have any manuals. if it was a loader it's much harder to get at the filter or the injector pump with the bucket down. Wish I could copy and paste. Your going to have to bleed the entire system starting with the filter. On the right (starter) side of the of the engine you will see a square box above the starter, that's the filter. On top right you will see a square plug, loosen this, fuel may or may not run out. (I have found that with a full tank of fuel I didn't have to go through the transfer pump pumping routine.) Along side of the manual fuel transfer pump you will find the pump primer lever, you want to pump the primer lever until you don't see any bubbles. This is what you need to do when you change the filter which would be a good thing to do since you have run it out of fuel.

After you have the bled the filter now you need to bleed the line running from the filter to the injector pump. Looking at the injector pump that line will be the horizontal line connecting to rear/top. Loosen that line and pump the lever on the lift pump again until you see no bubbles.

Now you need to loosen all the line connecting to the injectors on top of the engine. Remove the hood, you will need two wrenches to loosen the lines running to the injector, loosen all of them., don't remove them just loosen them, like purging a refrigerate system. Hopefully you have been charging your batteries or they have a full charge. Now crank the engine with the starter until fuel flows around the loose injector lines. Using one hand and two wrenches, tighten the injector lines. The motor may or may not start depending on how lose the line connections were. I will probably miss at first until the injectors are purged of air.

After you are done doing this you will no doubt be checking the fuel level more often. I keep my loader full of fuel before I use it. One so I don;t run out.... two ballast, diesel fuel weights roughly 7 lbs a gallon, multiple times 30, while that does sound like a lot of additional ballast weight I can assure you that sometime it is when lifting heavy loads like a large by huge sump/root ball.

Hope fully this helps.
450C Track Loader
291457T

north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by north country dozer » Sun May 11, 2014 7:51 am

Thanks guys... gonna give it a whirl when I get a chance being that its mother's day

. I knew I was running low and meant to put 5 gallons in yesterday but shoulda coulda would a... I'm sure I'll be checks ing back in once I get going on it... I'll write this one off as a learning experience...lol

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun May 11, 2014 8:13 am

Hi,

One thing that might have been lost, is change the fuel filter. There was probably quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the tank. It tends to not flow out - until you use that last couple of quarts. That means it is now all in the filter.

It is much better to pay for a filter than the pump and injectors when the sediment eventually pops thru the filter element. Even if you did not need to replace the filter, think of it as a cheap insurance policy.....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by north country dozer » Sun May 11, 2014 8:25 am

OK... got the filter plug loosened.... where is the prime pump lever? Can't locate it

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun May 11, 2014 11:43 am

should be on the side of the main fuel pump if for some reason yours don't have one you can put a LITTLE air pressure in the fuel tank and bled the filter that way OR if the fuel tank is full it should bled on its own in a few minutes with the plug opened
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by north country dozer » Sun May 11, 2014 11:56 am

Don't know where primary fuel pump is... don't want to spend the dough for a full tank... I've got the plug pulled but can't find lever pump

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun May 11, 2014 12:24 pm

should be on the side of the engine near the filter just in front of the starter follow the fuel line that does not go to the injector pump and you should be able to find it .... it looks like a standard old school car fuel pump...... i just found a pic it is between the starter and the oil filter closer to the oil filter as seen here (2 minutes in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkTvjGPmA8
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

cdunn
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cdunn » Sun May 11, 2014 6:50 pm

If you would simply get yourself a service manual for your tractor, will explain completely how to do this and answer most any other basic question you have about your machine.
57 420c 86 Ford 4600
67 350 dozer
66 350 loader
58 Oliver OC-4
48 8n Ford
49 Farmall Cub
Struck Mini-Dozer

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Mon May 12, 2014 7:30 am

Stan Disbrow wrote:Hi,

One thing that might have been lost, is change the fuel filter. There was probably quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the tank. It tends to not flow out - until you use that last couple of quarts. That means it is now all in the filter.

It is much better to pay for a filter than the pump and injectors when the sediment eventually pops thru the filter element. Even if you did not need to replace the filter, think of it as a cheap insurance policy.....

Stan
Stan, Maybe I should have come right out and said that.

Have you found the pump lever yet? It may difficult to find, unless, the lift pump has been replaced with a generic and there isn't a lever which case your going to have to improvise.
450C Track Loader
291457T

north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by north country dozer » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:16 am

Guys its been a while but thanks for the info. I did find the pump lever and after a few hours of grueling work I got her going... I ended up cracking the flare nut just downstream of the manual lever til I got fuel there. I then cracked everything down the line to injectors... Started her up with one injector cracked and she ran hard... Tightened the injector flare down and she purred like a kitten. Thanks again guys... Now just waiting for some feedback on tightening my tracks...

north country dozer
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by north country dozer » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:27 pm

Well I ran out of fuel again!!!
I got her going but noticed a small bubbling leak where the injector is mounted in to the engine body... I don't know if its new or old. If i dont lose my prime and it starts up tomorrow is it ok to run or should it be fixed immediately??? Thanks in advance. Really good knowledgeable people here that help out a lot