450B steering adjustment and radiator

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

450B steering adjustment and radiator

Post by srshaw3 » Sun May 25, 2014 1:37 pm

I had my steering clutches done two years ago, and noticed one side was not turning as well, now it has stopped. I presume I need to go through the adjustment process as specified in the shop manual (which I have).

As the JD450B Loader it is in rural location I want to make sure I am properly prepared with tools and parts. Has anyone taken notes while doing this adjustment and can provide any information on how best to proceed, then please let me know.

I am hoping the directions are "obvious" when I am working on the dozer. I consider myself mechanically inclined but a dozer newbie.

I also may need a radiator, if anyone knows where I can get the best deal...
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes."
Thomas Jefferson

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Sun May 25, 2014 8:35 pm

The instructions might require turning a bolt a number of "detents" I am still not clear on it. take some silicone along to make sure the covers are waterproof after. Take a small heater like a blow drier along in case your housings are wet, need a heater on/in overnight to dry them out. Have something to spray on to loosen the brake adjust bolt if it is seized, yours was apart two years ago so it should not be a problem but it might be.

Scott

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Mon May 26, 2014 11:39 am

Thanks Scott, Looks like I need better images, I can see where the top covers are, but no the side covers. Does the back assembly need to be removed to see them (the assembly containing the seat and rear side pods.)

If any have better directions, particularly photos of where the side panels are that cover the brake band adjusting screw.

This is for a 1973 JD 450B loader crawler.
Thomas Jefferson

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Tue May 27, 2014 3:45 am

Brake adjustment bolt covers are out in the open on the sides. Just above the top of the track. It is almost a triangle cover, not that big. Just below the battery box or hydraulic fluid reservoir.

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks, that makes sense!
Thomas Jefferson

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:44 pm

So, I was able to get both covers off, and then my confusion begins.... I attempted adjustments per manual, and then when I pulled back on left lever (the side I adjusted) the dozer would stall. I presumed I had not properly adjusted the clutch, and was putting the brake on while the clutch was still engaged...

So I adjusted what I thought was the clutch rod, to be longer, and the stalling problem diminished, but I still did not see the tracks on the left side stopping.

Was my last adjustment incorrect? From the outside of the dozer moving inwards, the brake rod adjustment comes first, then the clutch rod adjustment, correct? I can't tell from the pictures in the manual I have, so would appreciate confirmation on the physical position of the brake vs. clutch rods, ie: which is closest to the center of the dozer.

A few weeks ago, I could not get the top cover off, as I need a 3/8 breaker bar. I did try to just adjust the brake linkage (as it is always exposed), and did get the dozer to turn, so there is hope.

In the well under the cover I removed there is no signs of fluid/water, so I presume I am still just dealing with an adjustment issue (or at least hope I am). Just as a reminder the steering clutches and brake bands are 2 years old with no adjustment since installation and probably at least 40 hours of use since then too.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Thomas Jefferson