mid 50s to late 60s jd350 crawler

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
keith boucher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keith boucher » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:12 am

i have a technical manual for a 350b. that calls for a 12 volt coil. Now weve been running this thing for 2 yrs with a 6 volt resisted coil. how can that be. Would that be the reason why there was a resistor in the harness and one in the coil. very confusing. I have ser #s for the tractor and for the motor. could you tell anything from those numbers.

tractor. sn14fc012196

engine snm41tf0115697

our mechanic has manuals, i would think that a 6 volt coil would raise a flag for him..

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:31 am

If the book says it is a 12 volt coil, it is a 12 volt coil, no idea why someone would put a 6 volt on there.

From a 350 service manual:
The ignition resistor is connected between the coil and the ignition switch and has a resistance of 2.2 Ohm.

The resistor is connected in series with the coil, and when the engine is running, reduces voltage at the coil.

To provide a better spark when starting, the resistor is bypassed and battery voltage or approximately 10 volts is applied to the coil. This is accomplished when the starter is operating by current flowing from the "R" solenoid terminal of the starter through the resistor bypass wire to the coil.

Make sure that yours is wired this way, put in the correct coil, and make sure it is connected correctly and I think you will have solved the problem.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:23 am

Keith-

A little off your direct topic, but I thought I would share since it may help answer your question about the 6-volt coil.

I have a 1952 8N tractor that was originally 6-volt but was converted to 12-volt. The conversion mainly involved the altenator (including bracket and pulley), battery, and lights. You were also supposed to change the from a 6-volt to 12-volt coil; however you could also just stick an inline igntiion resistor to drop the voltage to 6-volt at the coil. I ran my 12-volt 8N with a 6-volt coil for quite a while this way, then switched to a 12-volt coil recently. The main disadvantage for the 6-volt coil (as I understood it) was harder starting during cold weather.

I mention this because maybe someone did a similar swap to you. It doesn't explain why it happened, as I thought the 2010s and 350s were 12-volt, but maybe someone just had a 6-volt coil handy and swapped it in to avoid buying a 12-volt coil.

keith boucher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keith boucher » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:24 am

Lavoy, you wouldnt by any chance have a manual so we could get the correct part no. for the original coil. I want to make sure that our dealer is giving us the correct part. They have been giving us the 6 volt, for that machine. ????????

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:37 am

Current coil from Deere is almost $50, you can get the same thing from any auto parts store for $20 or less, just ask for a 12 non-resisted coil.
Lavoy

keith boucher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keith boucher » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:49 am

Well, we are up and running. Put in the new 6 volt coil that the dealer claims is the correct stock part for that machine. Started the crawler, started right up. checked the voltage at both ends of the coil. Mehanic did this, whatever that means. He found that he was getting way to much voltage gong in ant out. Remember this is a resisted coil. We then replace the once bypassed resistor that was in the new wiring harness. All measurements fell into place. Apparently they are running a 6 volt coil with 2 resistors. Why not just run a 12 volt, i dont know. Anyway, it runs perfect. with all the new parts we have install and the valve job it did not need, its like a new machine. We ran it last night pulling stumps for 2 hours without a problem. After 3 pages and months of posting, i want to say thankyou to everyone who took time to reply. Have a great day.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:04 pm

That machine is a 1971 build so if deere had a 6 volt coil instaled in those days I didnt know about it. And why 12 volt for the rest of the system? check the coil when running to see if it gets hot as you have it running That is a good indicator of an over capacitated coil if it gets hot.I realise that this system was like this when you got it So as it is runing now watch the coil temp .A lot of 6 volt systems that have been changed too 12 volt and the old 6 volt coil left in place .It just frys the life out of that coil even with a rectifier or two in place. Good luck.Digitup.

keith boucher
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by keith boucher » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:49 am

digit, how did you come up with the info that it was a 1971. i thought it was a 65. yeah it is running great and it had run that way for two years before we had issues. im interested in knowing really what yr it is.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:39 pm

Right serial # wrong model-sorry about that.Had too look that back up.Digitup.