JD 450B mechanic desired near SW NH

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 450B mechanic desired near SW NH

Post by srshaw3 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:10 pm

I would like a experienced mechanic familiar with the JD450B to perform service, and show me what I should be doing, at my property in SW NH.

I will be attempting to adjust the steering clutches but know knowledge has value.

I also noticed a weeping hydraulic hard line on the loader and while I have changed many soft lines, suspect this may be a bit daunting to me.
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes."
Thomas Jefferson

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:53 am

I have replaced leaking hard lines with soft. Works fine and I just cut the hard ones in pieces to get them out.

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:16 am

Not sure I copied it correctly but, here is thread I started (on page 2 of late model forum) when I changed out some lines:
http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=9116
If you've been tearing in to your machine already it sounds like you're plenty capable.
It's a challenge working in cramped quarters but, with a little finesse and some strong-arming, the hard lines can be done...it may just be a loose fitting.
If you have the manual then adjusting steering clutches is pretty easy but, as others have mentioned in posts, there is a sequence to follow.
I made copies of the pages and had them beside me while doing it.
Good luck,
DB

srshaw3
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by srshaw3 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks for the reply, I am just concerned I make a wrong adjustment and wear out the clutch or the brake. I do have the manual in a pdf and bring it with my, on a notebook, but the directions are not as clear as I would like.

Ironically I am considering trying to pick up another 450B, in dozer form. I do like the simplicity of the machines.

Seems like for lot clearing many prefer the loader, but I expect for the grading aspect the blade would be better.

Of course I wouldn't mind an excavator either :) Do they exist in comparably functional and cost effective form as the JD 450Bs?
"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes."
Thomas Jefferson