450 runs but doesn't move at all....

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Jeroen
40C crawler
40C crawler

450 runs but doesn't move at all....

Post by Jeroen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:13 am

Hello everyone.

So my straight 450 dozer has been standing still for the past year.
Now after putting the battery back it started straight away, BUT it doesn't move....... Put it in gear forward Hi, low or reverse, the engine doesn't stall,, just a for a moment I notice a bit lower revs and a bit more smoke.

It is as if the clutch doesn't work.. By move the blade down on the ground there is movement in the under carriage so the breaks don't seem to be stuck, although I have the impression that I can push the break pedal all the way down with a lot less resistance then it used to have.

The gear oil is very milky........
Any suggestions???????

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:32 pm

Milky fluid would mean it has water in it. Oil change might help.
Others might know if bad hyd oil might damage components or something else causing the problem.

Jeroen
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jeroen » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for the answer, yes after seeing the oil it was clear that it needed changing.....
Do you know what type and specifications it needs to be? I got the JD manual, but they only talk original JD brand stuff, which I a,, can't get and if I could, b,, would be way more expensive then other brands here.

BUT, is that the cause of not wanting to move.....???? or is the clutch stuck?

There must be someone that can give me his experienced hint........

Thanks, Jeroen www.solane.info

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:32 am

New replacement from Deere is Hy-Gard.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:30 am

I had a wheel tractor that had milky gear oil and it effected the performance of the 3 pt hitch so yours may improve with fresh oil…at least that's a starting point.
As LaVoy said, hy-gard fluid or 303 tractor fluid. A parts house could probably help find an equivalent.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:15 pm

You most likely have a HLR transmission, which is a "powershift" type transmission that requires clean HyGard or equivalent such as a JD 303 equivalent. The clutch pedal on these is actually attached to a valve on the HLR that is actuated when the pedal is depressed.

Before you try to diagnose HLR problems any further you need to remove the water and replace with clean HyGard as it could affect power as well as shifting between high/low/reverse.

If you have a straight 450 or 450B then your steering clutches are mechanical rather than hydraulic and have nothing to do with the fluid except maybe power steering assist.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

DrLoch
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by DrLoch » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:39 am

Have you tried moving the gear selector? When I was adjusting the clutch valve and I had the gear selector in neutral when I shifted from forward to reverse and visa versa the motor would briefly load.
450C Track Loader
291457T

Jeroen
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Jeroen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:55 pm

DrLoch wrote:Have you tried moving the gear selector? When I was adjusting the clutch valve and I had the gear selector in neutral when I shifted from forward to reverse and visa versa the motor would briefly load.
Thank you all for the replies..... When I bought the 450 last year, it had a gearbox problem, not wanting to shift from 3-4, That didn't matter to me I would not just be driving around with it anyway, got about 5 miles of dirt road to maintain from our property down to the tarmac, so would just be moving it while working....

The case is that someone has pushed it into 4th gear while it was parked..... and I never tried that gear, since it was not going easily in it......so this problem is solved, it moves now again ( in 1st 2nd and 3rd ) and I can change all oils and filters this week. So back on the job

Labparamour
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Labparamour » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:45 pm

Great news! Those are the best kind of fixes!