She stayed up 2.5 hours this time but she's dead again...

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
GRWeldon
430 crawler
430 crawler

She stayed up 2.5 hours this time but she's dead again...

Post by GRWeldon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:09 pm

After finally fixing the starter after months http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=9345
I was able to use my 350B for a couple of evenings for a total run time of about 2 and a half hours. I dug up about 6 large stumps and 10 smaller ones with the backhoe. I had to take a leak so I pulled the throttle down to idle and dismounted to take care of my business right next to the crawler. As I was relieving myself, I noticed oil dripping from the starter area on to the ground.

I moved the tractor to a fairly clear and level spot and after further inspection, I see a steady stream of oil coming out of the bearing end of the starter, but without wiping I couldn't pinpoint the source. I grabbed some rags and started wiping while the engine was idling. Sure enough, the oil (engine oil) was coming out of the bearing end of the starter, like it was full of oil! Like an idiot, I shut her down and as I was doing so I said to myself, that probably wasn't a very smart thing to do...

When I bought the crawler back in December, the guy who owned it told me that she leaks enough oil that you have to keep good tabs on the level. When I pushed him to estimate how much, he said about about a gallon a week. I should have asked how many operational hours were in his week!

When I asked where the leak was coming from, he said he was told it was the rear main seal. He said he just kept the oil full and it ran fine. Well, I'd say this thing is leaking at least a quart an hour if not more. What I suppose is happening is when I'm running at 2300 RPM when I digging, the oil is sloshing around all inside the pan and splashing out the rear main against the flywheel and slinging a good portion of that oil right in to the nose of the starter.

I was never able to really see exactly how much oil was leaking because the engine compartment was filled with dirt and twigs and brush right to the bottom of the starter. I had to clean all that out when I replaced the starter back in January. With all the gunk gone, I could clearly see a small stream of oil dripping to the ground.

OK, so when I go to park the girl in the normal place where I can work on her, when I push the starter button, all I get is a "click"! So I guess filling up a starter with oil, kills it, huh? OK, no biggie, I can get another...

The real question is:

Assuming that all I need is a rear main seal (I'd predict that there's more wrong than that), what exactly do I need to remove to get at the rear engine plate to replace the seal. From what I can tell it looks like the reverser has to come out and that I might not be able to take the reverser out without also removing the transmission [I've read other messages about the order, but I can't remember now... The engine is first, the reverser is next and the transmission is last in the chain, right?].

I know it's been discussed here before plenty of times and I'm going to go back through the archive when I get the chance but I'd sure like to hear some tips, pointers, and advise about how to proceed. Right now I'm hoping that it's just the seal but judging how every other situation with this thing is has gone down, I'll be replacing more than just a seal...

Let the tips flow guys and I really appreciate your help...

Glen
1970 350B loader/crawler #117565 with model 93 backhoe.

jthornton
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by jthornton » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:10 am

Dang Glen,

That sucks... I'll be following this thread so take lots of photos.

JT

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi,

No, motors and generators do not like oil baths. The oil insulates the contacts from the brushes. They can be cleaned up, though.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)