450B break drum

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jd450b yellow
MC crawler
MC crawler

450B break drum

Post by jd450b yellow » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Just bought a 450B with the rt. steering clutch not working. Put dozer blade against a big stump, both sides pull strong, pull both levers and both tracks stop. this means clutch packs are not slipping and will disengage, right? Then I removed top cover under seat and side covers at track level, brake adj. cover. went through brake adj. procedure in tech. manual with no positive results. looking through top cover everything is dry no oil or water. there is a lot of black brake type dust, dirt. There is about a 1/4 inch on the brake lining. Has anyone seen the brake drum worn enough that the brake lining tighten all the way down that it just contacts brake drum? The lining seems to be setting at a level equal to where the pressure plate mounts to the drum.In pictures of drum, brake, pressure plate assy. there appears to be more metal on the brake contact area of the drum. Could the drum be worn on the braking surface that the brake not work? experience with heavy truck, drums can wear enough that the S-cam will flip over. Some advice would be great before I tear down.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 pm

sounds like you have contaminants on the brake lining.... i have had this on my 2010s before clutches hold and release great but 2 men and a boy could not pull the levers hard enough to stop the track to complete a turn i would say you need new lining check out this post http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... ight=brake LET the FUN begin :shock: :shock:
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

jd450b yellow
MC crawler
MC crawler

450b steering brake

Post by jd450b yellow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:15 pm

when I tighten the brake till I cant move the nut any more, there is still clamping action on the brake band when I pull back on the clutch brake lever. The threads on the brake yoke bolt are bottomed out or are they frozen up and wont turn any more? would think I could tighten them enough the band would clamp the brake drum and there would be no clamping action when operating the lever. Guess to much wear to lock brake band to drum?

jd450b yellow
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: 450B break drum

Post by jd450b yellow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:51 pm

Never post fix to rt. side brake problem. Tore part way in, removed rops, fuel, hyd tank took the top plates off housings and examining the brake shoes found the pin had came out of the coupler that hold shoes together. Pulled the shoes out and they looked new. Used a magnet to fish in bottom of housing and found the pin with one snap ring attached. Never did pick up the other ring. Bought new snap ring and reassembled, adjusted brake and break now works better then one on left side. Cleaned a pond out with it with no problems. Turned out a inexpensive fix! Think I will have to realign front idlers. Wear plates shims part worn with plenty of play. Guess that be next.