Reverse Slippage

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Pete/ME
MC crawler
MC crawler

Reverse Slippage

Post by Pete/ME » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 am

Working my 350 crawler (T4F3D045316T) in heavy clay. Sometimes backing up out of a hole using the reverser it seems to hitch or slip for a few seconds before "catching". Doesn't do it in forward, or on the flat. Is this something that can be adjusted or a symptom of the reverser wearing out?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:31 am

Could be both. I had an old time Deere mechanic tell me that sometimes "sludge" or something like that will accumulate in the pistons, and delay shifting. He also said they can get a ridge in the cylinder bore and get sticky as well. Chech your system pressure and if low, set it to the high side. Also, if you up the shift speed a little, that can help. Don't go so far that it gets to be a violent shift, you don't want to damage anything.
Lavoy

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:20 pm

Yes the seal on the reverse clutch has probably a lot of wear on it The forward will be wore the same eather the seal itself or the steel face that it runs on will have a grove worn in it Lavoy may be able to find a kit to resleve and over size seal the clutch unit but watch the forward side as well 350s wore the directionals The 450s wore the hi low first. And 550s 1st and 2nd wore out first. I think you will find these are the most used or stresed shifts on the machines .Come to think about it 350 only has directiomal power shift! I found my Fundimentals Of Service manuals [ John Deere terms FOS] manuals the other day with a lot of good information in them I only have four of them Motor/Drivetrain /Hydraulics andTracks cant find Electrical manual. In the Drive train manual they dont talk about the steel sleve but that is what I always used its quick and simple It also lasts well If you get a chance at some FOS manuals grab them they have a lot of information in them But the motor manual has verry little on wet sleaves I noticed .Digitup.

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Also that is a 1967 modle by the serial number .DIgitup.