New to the crawler world

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

New to the crawler world

Post by NickMartin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:56 pm

So I've always wanted a crawler and now I have a need to clear my land. After some research and looking, I just bought a John Deere 350 crawler loader with a 4in1 bucket. The undercarriage is nearly 100% no pin wear, sprocket wear, or roller wear. It has a four speed trans with the power direction lever. Not sure the yer as the tag is worn.
The left steering brake is not working nor the brake pedal. I plan to buy a manual this week.
I am looking for a backhoe attachment and have located a few 9300's in my area. I know that it's not ideal for a 350 and only plan to have mounted when needed.
I have noticed that my crawler is a little different than most. It has a swivel seat and no counter weight. Does that mean it would have come with a factory hoe? What model would I look for that I could use with the swivel seat and not need the hoe mounted jump seat?
Looking forward to much learning from this sight.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:27 pm

That sounds a little odd, is there still a fuel tank on the rear? Could you post a pic?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:12 pm

I will try to tomorrow after I read up on how to on this site.
The fuel tank is to the left side of the operator. Open to the back. I saw one somewhere that said maybe it was German made?

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Last edited by NickMartin on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:27 pm

The link works but the photo didn't pop.
Missed a step I guess

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:15 pm

You may have picked the wrong hyperlink within Photobucket- last I checked they have separate lines to copy for URLs (the link to the photo) versus IMGs (the image itself). You may try again and make sure when you post that it has the IMG in brackets at the beginning and end (the end also has a slash). Hope that makes sense.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:20 pm

Okay, might be wrong here, but I think you have a 350A which I believe is a European built 350 that somehow got imported back into the US.
Lavoy

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:11 am

The data tag says it's a type F7350 and under the serial it is written in French I think but does say New Orleans.

Here is the back of the operator station

Last edited by NickMartin on Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:36 am

Lavoy,
I think you may be right. The ones I've seen online like this have an attached sliding backhoe attachment. I assume that backhoe would be about impossible to find stateside. I will likely pursue a 9300.
Any thought if the rear end would be any more stout since it would seem it was designed to be carrying a backhoe all the time?
Would this use the same technical manual as the 350 or would this more likely be equivalent to a 350B? Not sure what I should look for to know the differences on this "special" crawler.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:49 am

Sideshift hoe was an option just like the standard hoe, you see them around, just not as plentiful.
No difference in the rear end other than mounts and J hooks for the hoe in addition to a larger hyd pump, and no counterweights..
I am pretty sure your crawler would relate to a straight 350, not a B model, but could be wrong. I am guessing your reverser cable is on the dash?
Are you talking about the engine serial number and having French under it? If so, very likely, Deere has had an engine plant in Saarinen (sp) France for years, I would have thought the crawler would have been assembled in Mannheim, Germany, but again, could be wrong.
Lavoy

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 am

The direction (reverser?) is a lever mounted to the left side of the operator on the back of what is my fuel cell. I will get some pics of the operator station this evening and post.
The tag info is from the tag on the dash. Is there another location for data tag?
With the price of manuals, I'd like to be sure before ordering. Is there any way to know for sure? Trans, engine, anything specifically different?

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 am

that "ROOF" is cute :roll: :roll: ......with out any weights on the ass end and with a 4in1 i bet it stands on its nose with very little dirt in the bucket
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

NickMartin
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by NickMartin » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:04 am

You are very right about that jtrichard. Pushing dirt and lifting trees has been exciting.
My "roof" is coming off after I get all of my lap piles cleared up. It blocks the upper arm greaser and was very poorly made. My 8yo could probably weld better, but it'll have to come of for a 9300 anyway.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:00 pm

On a US crawler yes, don't know where to tell you to look on that one. What are all of the digits listed on the tag, numbers and letters.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:22 pm

NickMartin wrote:The tag info is from the tag on the dash. Is there another location for data tag?

With the price of manuals, I'd like to be sure before ordering. Is there any way to know for sure? Trans, engine, anything specifically different?
Typically the tag on the dash, especially if on right side, is for the loader attachment and there is an update kit number that usually starts something like "SNE7...." However like Lavoy said we can't say for sure on an import crawler. I believe usually the crawler's tag would be at the bottom of the seat base or to the left of the seat base on a U.S. crawler depending on whether a straight 350 or 350B, but since I don't own one someone else should probably confirm.

I believe there are some parts differences between a 350 and 350B on a U.S. crawler. There aren't a lot of major differences (especially considering some features were optional) but I want to say that the steering clutch housings are different, and there may be a few other differences.

If you want to spend the time, there is a free parts lookup website for the JD crawlers and you could compare similar parts between the 350 and 350B crawlers. Read this thread an it will explain specifics on accessing that website:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... eft+corner
Last edited by Tigerhaze on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment