450-C Winch Works

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

450-C Winch Works

Post by JAG » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:58 pm

Does anyone know the winches…. I have a 450-C with winch. When it came in a few years ago, the winch control cable was not hooked up. Later I hooked it up and had to replace the control cable. It seemed to work fine for what little I had to do with it, but now does not seem to have the pull it should. I have the tech manual and parts catalog for the dozer but it does not really give specifications for the winch, no rating, no weight of the winch, size of cable or line pull or any other specifications.

Sometime this fall I want to get it back in shape before wet weather. I would think it would break the old bad cable it has on it when it went to really load up. Is there some adjustment that can be made, hydraulic oil changed or anything else I can do? Do I need to pull it off and take it to a shop to be rebuilt? Thanks JAG
JAG

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Jag looking at the unit your left side plate comes off and set up the clutch that wayall those bolts come off And the clutch is multiple plate like the power shift transmison Look on the serial number plate it should be 3325 on there some place un less it was older than the dozer Those units were mounted on Deeres skiders and if you found a branch high enough and big enoughyou could pull the largest skider into the tree with out hesitation Set up right they dont slip at all.The filter is a motor oil filter I always keep good cable on them as old cable is not safe I get my3/4 inch from the crane company just down the road They raplace regularly and cant scrap cable up here so it is free and all ready lubed Also allways use a good conections as they tend to fly and hit the operator if they break One guy up here got hit and the cable wraped around his neck He never had a chance to shut it off They can bee your best friend or a nightmare at times. Digitup.

JAG
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by JAG » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:02 am

Thanks digitup..... I do have a 3325. I wish that the manual had more in it about the winch. The only times I have have used it was to winch out a stuck farm tractor, and get to dozer unstuck or off high center (working where some timber had been cut, you know a 3 foot dia stump just don't move much) The first time or two the winch did great, last time it would not pullthe dozer off the stump, had to put it in gear and turn the tracks a little.

How much cable does the winch take... I can not find that number anywhere. I believe that I have just under 100 feet on the drum, and it has a bad bird cage about 60 foot in. I just got about 75 feet of cable that came an offshore rescue pod that had not been used but they still had to change out the cable.

Thanks for the heads up on things cable, I have a very heathly respect for cable and PTO shafts, too many friends worked as a deck hands during college and the stories they tell can curl you hair... I saw what was the aftermath of a truckdriver getting his boot lace of pant leg caught in a PTO. The boy that was there and saw it happen never went back into a plant again.
JAG

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:59 pm

Jag I hope that I can find that info I sold a Tech manual to jboettcher earlyer and I think its in there I also never put more than 100 feet of 3/4 inch on mine and carried the extra on the float as you are easyier on the clutch and have more power closer to bare drum .Digitup.

karsonb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by karsonb » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:52 pm

JAG wrote:Thanks digitup..... I do have a 3325. I wish that the manual had more in it about the winch. The only times I have have used it was to winch out a stuck farm tractor, and get to dozer unstuck or off high center (working where some timber had been cut, you know a 3 foot dia stump just don't move much) The first time or two the winch did great, last time it would not pullthe dozer off the stump, had to put it in gear and turn the tracks a little.

How much cable does the winch take... I can not find that number anywhere. I believe that I have just under 100 feet on the drum, and it has a bad bird cage about 60 foot in. I just got about 75 feet of cable that came an offshore rescue pod that had not been used but they still had to change out the cable.

Thanks for the heads up on things cable, I have a very heathly respect for cable and PTO shafts, too many friends worked as a deck hands during college and the stories they tell can curl you hair... I saw what was the aftermath of a truckdriver getting his boot lace of pant leg caught in a PTO. The boy that was there and saw it happen never went back into a plant again.
There is a company in California, Bailey's, They sell premade cables for skidders and Dozers, I bought a 90' cable with the slug on the end, ready to put on the winch it was about 90.00 plus UPS ground freight to my door, less than 20.00 freight cost. They have a web site and online shopping at baileys-online.com They have the best prices on logging/silviculture equipment and supplies that I have seen anywhere.
About the winch adjustment, digitup, so if I pull the left cover off, I can adjust the clutch? that is what I gather from your previous post. Thanks for the info.
KarsonB