Introduction and JD 350 brake / clutch

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Introduction and JD 350 brake / clutch

Post by Brewha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:48 pm

Hello all,
I am new to the board here. Thought I would introduce myself and my machine. Name is Rob the machine is 60's model JD350 with a bucket.
I joined this side because JD does not seem to much help with these older machines and I kind of need the machine for small jobs around the house.

The specific problem I am having is the right side brake/clutch is not operating correctly. The brake seems to be engaging as it pulls the engine down however the clutch does not release. So..... I tore it apart to find a bunch of rust. First I kroiled the heck out of everything and got it to move a little bit more but still no release for the clutch. The machine has spent a lot of time uncovered in snowy Wyoming winters. I am guessing the real problem stems from rust somewhere. Also the front crossbar that supports the track is broken so I think I have devised a fix that I will be working on soon. I am going to need a new throwout bearing and information on how to adjust it all. I would really like to get a manual for it but am not completely sure of which one to order. I am guessing the John Dear Sm 2063 is what I am looking for. Any idea where to get parts for these old machines. The JD dealer around here cant seem to find anything in their system. Also how do I post photos? Threads are sad without photos. Do I need a photobucket account or something? Looking forward to being on here.
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

oops

Post by Brewha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:58 pm

I just realized I may have made it sound as if the throwout bearing is the issue. Throwout bearing just turns real rough, so it will need replaced while it's apart. I have to investigate further as to what the real issue is. But I have a lot of stuff to keep up with.....lols . Who doesn't ???? There is a lot of rust in there and it almost seems like the throw out bearing carrier( proper nomenclature?) was rusted on the shaft that it rides on. It is stiff now but got it moving. Also the clutch itself may be rusted stiff. Who knows??? I just have to tear it down further. The track is split and the reduction gearbox is already off.

Pictures yes I have them just don't know how to post.

-Edit photos-

http://imgur.com/a/4nWaX?gallery
Last edited by Brewha on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1966 JD350 Straight

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:38 pm

JUST so you know NEVER repeat NEVER put ANY oil type product in the steering clutch housings :shock: :shock: any good linings you have will be destroyed
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Introduction and JD 350 brake / clutch

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:43 pm

Brewha wrote: Also how do I post photos? Threads are sad without photos. Do I need a photobucket account or something? Looking forward to being on here.
It doesn't have to be Photobucket but you do need to store the photos on a photo sharing website like Photobucket and then link to them here using the "IMG" function- a full explanation can be found here:

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... php?t=3690
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

only on moving parts... mostly

Post by Brewha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:45 pm

I tried to lube up all the linkages. and did indeed soak the shaft down that twists the throwout bearing fork with penetrant oil as it was froze up. No oil on the clutch itself perhaps a little on the brake but will just have to live with some brake cleaner on it or a new band brake if it comes down to it.

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Photos....

Post by Brewha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Last edited by Brewha on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 10 times in total.

1966 JD350 Straight

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Brewha » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 pm

Anyone got suggestions as to where to get a throwout bearing and other parts I might need. Also I am looking at ordering the SM 2063 Maintenance manual. Anyone want to chime in on issues they may have had with this job. Suggestions are welcome as well. Keep oil off brakes and clutch plates....kind of already figured that but thanks....check!

1966 JD350 Straight

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:16 pm

throwout bearing can be obtained at like a napa ....... lavoy has steels and other parts
2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:09 pm

look up your serial number here in the.. frequently asked questions ...section to be sure of the year and exact model prior to ordering your manuals. As you are likely aware by now Deere can send you a download of the manuals you need. It is the best value I think (they will sell you the printed books as well) and then you can easily print some or all of it as needed.
Service manual is most important but the much smaller owners manual also has the basics as far as changing fluids, maintenance schedules, how toos on operating, and some adjustments that are hard to find in the technical /service manual. Parts descriptions are offered free by Deere and you can print out pages one at a time. The whole book costs if you want to own it.
This is Lavoy's site and his prices are competitive or better so try him first for parts.

by the way, below the box as you are typing your posts, for photos to show as photos you need to ...disable BBCode in this post...and, your path to the photos must have the...Img at the begining and end.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by original possum » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 pm

If you have not taken the clutch discs out and cleaned them then a new throwout probably will not solve the problem - they are rusted together. If you have and it still will not disengage it is probably because you put all the discs in on the snap ring. Some go behind it, and this is not clear in the manual.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

Brewha
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by Brewha » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 pm

Scotty, I looked at the serial numbers. Looks like I have a 1966 model.
also tried the advice about the images but I must be doing it wrong....

jt, how would I know what part number to order from napa? I am going to try and call them and see if they can just look it up.

Possum,I am guesseing the clutchs are rusted together but have yet to get the time to take them apart. The steering handle was so stiff you could barley move it so ya lots of rust in the thing. Next week I am hoping to be able to get to it. But either way the throwout bearing is too rough for me to want to run it so I am going to put a new one in. I want to get a new one on order so when I have the time I'll also have the parts.

I am planning on getting up with lavoy soon. I am guessing I need that special tool to set the pressure plate up correctly. If lavoy has them It might be just as easy to get a throwout bearing from him if napa has to order it.

1966 JD350 Straight

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:45 pm

I have the throwout bearings in stock, and should be quite a bit cheaper than NAPA, but not positive.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

scremineagle
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by scremineagle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 am

Also have parts trouble with most JD dealers but if you have a n industrial JD dealer near you they seem to have much more knowledge and are able to get most parts.Although the knowledge on this site is invalueable tons of experience found here for nailbenders like me.

jtrichard
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:50 am

The JD # is AM3983T lavoy will probably be best napa is like $45

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:18 am

I sell the, for $25, should have 10 on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com