Reverser will not 'engage'

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
alanpeters257
40C crawler
40C crawler

Reverser will not 'engage'

Post by alanpeters257 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:36 pm

I have a straight JD350 Crawler Loader with a hydraulic reverser. I recently dug out a foundation and put 14+ hours on my loader over 3 days. Couple of the mornings were rather cold and the machine was a little slow to respond to the shifting with the reverser for the first 30 minutes or so. Today I went to move the crawler (it sat for about 4 days) and it wouldn't respond at all when the reverser lever was shifted. Fluid is just above the low mark and it worked fine when i parked it 4 days earlier. I tried the reverser for 10-15 minutes but there was never any response from the crawler. Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting. My first guess was the cable, but it just seems very strange that it operated fine previously then just quit working when parked.

Thanks
Alan

alanpeters257
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by alanpeters257 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:03 pm

I did some additional investigation today. I removed the floor boards and verified that the reverser lever and clutch pedal both appear to be rotating their shafts on the reverser accumulator housing properly (I was hoping for a broken cable).

I looked inside the transmission (through the dipstick) and no movement is seen when the reverser lever is engaged. Therefore I do believe it is a reverser issue. On another note...The fluid level in the transmission appears to be about 1 quart high and the reverser was a little low when checked it during the dig. Can the reverser dump oil into the transmission?

I looked inside the reverser (through the dipstick) and could see the fluid moving but could hear a slight mechanical rattling noise coming from the reverser. It can't be heard with the dipstick installed.

I have read where people check the pressure, how is this done, what type of gauge is used, and where do you connect the gauge? I was also going to drain the fluid and check the filter to see if there are any obvious signs of issues...clogged filter, destroyed filter, metal in the oil.

Any other suggestions or similar experiences? It is just very weird to me that the crawler operated fine, was parked and would not move the next time it was started. How does it fail while sitting idle? Just confused.

Alan

cantbeatadeere
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by cantbeatadeere » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:34 pm

Hmmm....quite the riddle you have here, so many things it can be. I have it in my mind that your splines have worn through on the forward spider of the reverser(just my guess). will be curious what you find and please keep us posted and good hunting!!

jsal
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

no movement

Post by jsal » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:11 am

Possible cause of no movement, there is a splined coupling connecting the reverser to transmission that has a tendency to fail .I had it happen to my 350 dozer awhile back.

JIM

alanpeters257
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by alanpeters257 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:31 am

I got a pressure gauge setup and dove into more investigation. I fired up the crawler to let it warm up. While running I removed the plug for the high pressure check and oil started coming out of the hole. Of course oil would come out of the hole (guess I hadn't engaged my brain yet). Shut the crawler off and hooked-up the gauge. The gauge read ~50PSI with the reverser in Neutral. I threw the lever to FORWARD and heard the engine load up slightly (I haven't heard that sound since the reverser quit working) and I thought it might be working. Looked at the gauge and it read ~125PSI. Same result when I went to REVERSE. So with some reserved excitement I jump on the crawler threw it into gear and off she goes. Drove it for about 15 minutes without any issue. So the issue appears to have gone away. My only guess is that there was an air pocket that couldn't get through the valving and removing the plug allowed the air to move????

Hopefully the problem doesn't come back but only time will tell.

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter.

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:02 am

I had a similar experience a few weeks back with my dozer. I was pushing brush into a burn pit and had it nose down at a steep angle when the reverser quit. I eventually discovered that I had a leak at the filter and it had dropped the oil below the add level. Good thing there was not a fire in the pit at the time. The first thing I did after it failed was I used the blade and some logs to get it back close to level and it recovered. New filter and fresh oil and it has been good as gold since.

Scott
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:20 am

Hi,

Wow. A simple reverser fix? On this board? Time for me to buy a lottery ticket! ;)

Yes. There needs to be a warning label: Engage Brain Before Putting Tools In Gear!

I would tell a couple of mine, but if we all start relating *those* stories, we will need a new chat board: :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Scottyb
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Scottyb » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:14 am

OK I get it. I thought it was relevant in case he had low oil and was in a similar nose down situation.
I will leave posts to you experts from now on
450`s c-dozer 6 way, b-loader.
350`s c-loader + ripper, b-loader with winch arch. B-loader with dozer pads
backhoe attachment.
1010 loader with forks for round bales
a few 610 Bobcats. many attachments

Al Swearengen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Al Swearengen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:41 am

Scottyb wrote:OK I get it. I thought it was relevant in case he had low oil and was in a similar nose down situation.
It was relevant. You were not being disparaged, bro. Stan was just being witty.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:47 pm

Scottyb wrote:OK I get it. I thought it was relevant in case he had low oil and was in a similar nose down situation.
Hi,

Sorry, I just amazed that one of these had such a wonderfully easy issue. As opposed to making shrapnel out of the isolator or iron filings out of what were once bearings or gears.

The other thing about brains and tools was just saying 'been there, done that' but won't get us going on relating our own stories.

Yes, your post *is* relevant! I didn't know they would act like that for that reason. Is good to know!

BTW, this means you are now one of the experts! And, everything in your list are items I don't have. So, you automatically know more than I do. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:55 pm

I remember having issues with the accumulator from time to time when I owned a 350. I'd check the condition of your oil and filter since some crud might have plugged something and then shifted position in the system, and if that's the case the problem may return. Others more current on 350's may have other thoughts. Glad your machine is up and running.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

alanpeters257
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by alanpeters257 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:59 pm

For whatever reason last year when I bought the crawler, I changed all other fluids and filters but not the reverser's. I just picked up a filter and 3 gallons of fluid.