will not start

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
2skeeters
MC crawler
MC crawler

will not start

Post by 2skeeters » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 pm

my cousin recently bought a 2010 crawler when we brought it home it wouldnt fire. sprayed some ether in it and popped off. but would not run after that unless you primed it continuosly. relpaced the rod bearings, all the rings, had the head gone over ( new injectors, new glowplugs, milled down, new head kit (total head kit) new fuel and oil filters . fuel barely flows out he injectir pump, trys to start when you prime the crap out of it or atleast the rpm speeds up , sounds like wants to start blows white smoke , then basically just rolls over after you quit priming it. please help
    jackass

jtrichard
    350 crawler
    350 crawler

Post by jtrichard » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm

sounds like the old style rubber coupling in the pump is gone nothing 8 or 900 wont fix. Make sure you have fuel to the pump if so pull the injector lines and see if you get fuel there it sounds like you wont. I was told once there are three reasons a diesel wont run and thats fuel,fuel and fuel hope this helps
    2010 with 622 dozer with mod. 35 ripper and a 2010 with 622 dozer bought in 1969 and a 2010 loader with drott and mod. 36 ripper

440 iron popper
    1010 crawler
    1010 crawler

Post by 440 iron popper » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 am

I would check if the fuel lift pump is working good with a pressure gauge to see what you have. (The small cam actuated pump). Sometimes the diaphragm inside busts and fuel pressure is insufficient for the inj pump to build its own. I don't know what it looks like on a 2010 engine. I assume there is one. I changed several of these pumps on 4039 deere and 3054,3056 perkins also. It's the first link of the chain. A lot less $ also.
    440IC 1958 #443712, 602 blade, Gearmatic winch project in the back
    440IC, serial tag gone, Blade with tilt
    -------------------------------------------------------

Tigerhaze
    350 crawler
    350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 am

The 2010s are gravity fed from the overhead fuel tank so there isn't a fuel lift pump.

Have you looked at the simple things such as plugged fuel line or strainers between fuel tank and injection pump that's causing the pump to starve for fuel? There's also a vent on the return hose from the pump.

I would first check that you have fuel going into the clear fuel bowl strainer, next at the bleed plug on the filter housing. There may be lots of air that needs to be bled but usually a 2010 will self bleed and try to fire. If you crack the injector lines at the banjo bolts on each injector and see fuel then it is getting through the pump to the injectors. It definitely sounds like a fuel starvation issue since it will pop off with ether (not recommended) and the primer (which adds extra fuel to the air intake).

If all else fails, the plastic ring inside the pump may have disintegrated.

http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/ ... =2010+fuel

This thread may be helpful to you:

FYI, I would avoid the ether if possible on indirect injected engines like the 2010, although I have done so sparingly in the past. You can read about that here:

(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment