roller wear

Post support questions about your JD350 and newer crawler here
jdcook
40C crawler
40C crawler

roller wear

Post by jdcook » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:06 pm

A link that tiger haze was nice enough to give concerning roller wear showed how to measure the diameter of the rollers wear surface. I am confused as to why this is important. I thought it was the snaking of the chain through too wide of a roller that caused too much wear? I can’t see how the height of a roller is going to make any difference as far as chain wear?

thanks Dave

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:20 am

Sooner or later you are going to where through that surface area.The chain makes contact with it and the roller gets smaller and weaker the berring area and lube is held inside this area .It is truely the most important mesurement for the roller .Iknow where your thinking is coming from when hillsideing you whear the flanges and I have seen more than one flange wore right off and clanging around .A John Deere 450E on the auction block last year with the flanges worn right off and while it was coming onto the auction stage people in the crowd were looking strange at each other and saying do you hear bells .I am thinking no just rollers .Deeres didn't handle sidehill well and soon lost there rollers as well as front idlers .None of them did Cat would whear to the pin bosses aganst side rails and bang them selves to death .Dressers and Case would beat there flanges on the pinboss till they tore the rearends right out of them .Deere were super hard on the drive sprocket so a good indicator of side hill abuse is width of the sprocket and wear against the inside of the chain .Even chunks out of the sprocket tooth and chain side occured as well. Digitup.

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:20 am

Hi Dave-

I have really worn rollers on my 2010, and I am noticing that the roller flanges are coming really close to contacting and wearing on the pin bosses due to wear. It can definitely be an issue.
(1) JD Straight 450 crawler dozer with manual outside blade; (2) JD 2010 diesel crawler loaders; (1) JD 2010 diesel dozer with hydraulic 6-way blade; (2) Model 50 backhoe attachments, misc. other construction equipment

digitup2
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by digitup2 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:31 am

when you notice scrub on pin boss area watch your rollers very closely for damage .When you get good at watching used undercarrage you pick the rail scrub and sprocket scrub as problems you kind of live with and watch till you replace the track or just get done the side hill work and give the old Deere a rest from that kind of work an other area that is affected by misalignment is your top roller it is more than a top hanger for the track when your grousers flex. And as the tracks flex further with worn out bushings and a side load on the sprocket the top roller is hard at work straightening things out In reverse it is the only guide before the sprocket .When not in the drivers seat watch this top roller and all bottom rollers are going exactly the same speed as the track if not you got lube problems and excesive wear Flat sideing can realy mess a roller up .Digitup.